Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Post by DaveSwink »

rickinco123 wrote:I have seen so many dogs over the years that have been taken dangerous places they should not be and to my knowledge, none of those owners were threatened with animal cruelty. Its called selective prosecutiion.
There were many cries against Anthony being tried in the media, and now protests against him going through the judicial system. Is it possible that you want your judgement of not guilty to prevail and will protest against any course that does not have that result? I assume Anthony had a lawyer, and I assume he plead guilty to a minor charge and gave up Missy because his lawyer advised him it was very possible to get jail time if he went to trial.

Can you cite other instances of animal abandonment that were not prosecuted and the animals taken away? Or do you disagree with the current animal cruelty laws?
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

live4pc wrote:There was no doubt that poor guy was tried and convicted by emotion in the media... what a joke!
You have expressed that many times, and I think anyone would have to agree there was a lot of negative response in the media to the incident.

What are your thoughts on the results in court (pre-trial)? Is there another course that you think this should have taken that would balance in the views of our society at large, and your opinion? By that I mean, I know you can take an objective step back and acknowledge that your opinions are not going to be in step with society everytime (mine aren't). How do you think matters should be resolved when there are differing opinions?
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

mts4602 wrote:One of the rescuers made the comment on the Ellen show that the dog shouldn't have been up there in the first place, which is BS because soo many people do it and nobody cares until something happens. And I'm also talking about class 3, A LOT of you do it, but that's ok because you're smart and you know what you're doing.
It might have been more accurate to say that a climber/dog team should not be on a climb that they don't know how to handle if problems arise. For Anthony and Missy, that limit seems to have been class 3. I have seen climber/dogs on class 3 that were doing so well that I would assume they can handle any challenges on the route. With any large dog, it would seem like the skills/gear needed to evacuate under stress are going to be much greater on class 3 or harder though.
BeastoftheEast
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BeastoftheEast »

Jeff Valliere wrote:Here is a link to the Ellen Degeneres video clip:

http://www.ellentv.com/episodes/bethenn ... -top-four/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who the f**k is this pig Bethenny Frankel and what the hell does she have to do with mountaineering?
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

live4pc wrote:First of all, the guy no doubt made a mistake he should have done things differently... hindsight is 20/20. I talked to the guy on the phone granted it wasn't in person but, I still have a decent judge of character even over the p hone he came across ed as decent sincere guy. He had no chance from the start he was seen as the devil no matter the situation as he tried to explain from the start.

He had no audience to his case no second chance. And I know people are freak... it was just a dog.

That is were I believe in this case was carried out with pure blind emotion.
Lots of emotion was roiling for sure. Very interesting that you talked directly with him. Is it possible for decent, sincere people to do really despicable acts that require legal intervention? How would you suggest things could have been resolved while weighing the views of society at large, including yours? Trial by media is an ugly part of the new Internet world, but isn't that why we have the legal system? Admitted, prosecutors can be swayed by intense media coverage, but I don't think that is the case here. There was very little coverage of the incident after it went into the legal system (interviews with prosecutors, etc), only a momentary report of the results.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

BeastoftheEast wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:Here is a link to the Ellen Degeneres video clip:

http://www.ellentv.com/episodes/bethenn ... -top-four/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who the f**k is this pig Bethenny Frankel and what the hell does she have to do with mountaineering?
Never heard of her.

The link is meant to direct to the story about the dog rescue, but defaults to the page for that days entire episode, Monday, Sept. 17th, where several topics were covered. I looked for a more direct link and was unable to find one, but the dog rescue story titled "Animal Rescue" can easily be found there. Sorry for the confusion.
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

live4pc wrote:The dang prosecutor posted on this very forum every bit of this was trial by media.
I missed that. Got a link? If not, no worries, it would just be interesting to read.
live4pc wrote:I think his punishment should have been in the monetary area.
Didn't he have to cover the expenses? I thought I saw the number $5,000 somewhere. Is it the loss of Missy that you object to in the plea agreement?
live4pc wrote:The way the whole thing played out is a three ring circus first you have the internet craziness then media justice and to round it all out talk show stupidity closing the case and all is right in the world.
Trial by media is a problem we have not figured out in the internet world yet. Talk show stupidity? I missed the show. Was there Anthony-bashing on the show? I had the impression it was focused on the positive aspects of the story.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Did someone lose a dog on a mountain or something?
please rotate your device
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

dswink wrote:
rickinco123 wrote:I have seen so many dogs over the years that have been taken dangerous places they should not be and to my knowledge, none of those owners were threatened with animal cruelty. Its called selective prosecutiion.
There were many cries against Anthony being tried in the media, and now protests against him going through the judicial system. Is it possible that you want your judgement of not guilty to prevail and will protest against any course that does not have that result? I assume Anthony had a lawyer, and I assume he plead guilty to a minor charge and gave up Missy because his lawyer advised him it was very possible to get jail time if he went to trial.

Can you cite other instances of animal abandonment that were not prosecuted and the animals taken away? Or do you disagree with the current animal cruelty laws?
I assume a lot of people who are selectively prosecuted have lawyers as well, why wouldn't they when the force of the legal system is be brought to bear to deprive them of money/freedom? Did the authorities who said they couldn't/wouldn't rescue the dog or provide a reference for who could, did they abaondon the dog? If the dog fell into a raging river and was being swept away would the owner face abandonment accusations for not jumping in? And no sorry, I am not well versed in the current animal cruelty code of laws however it has nothing to do with my argument. I agree with rape laws but I don't agree with wrongful prosecution based on those laws either.

Can you find another straw dog argument to back up your points? Pun intended.
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

rickinco123 wrote:I assume a lot of people who are selectively prosecuted have lawyers as well, why wouldn't they when the force of the legal system is be brought to bear to deprive them of money/freedom?
Sorry, I am missing your point here. I was saying that I assumed he took a deal under his lawyer's advice. If it came out that I was suggesting he should not have a lawyer, I apologize, that's all wrong.

rickinco123 wrote:If the dog fell into a raging river and was being swept away would the owner face abandonment accusations for not jumping in?
Would a closer analogy be; if you swam to an islet in the middle of a river with your dog but when your dog couldn't swim back, you left him and did not come back?
rickinco123 wrote:I agree with rape laws but I don't agree with wrongful prosecution based on those laws either.
Point taken. I guess I was trying to gauge if the objection was to bad animal cruelty laws or the case going to court at all, or whatever. What I am hearing from you and live4pc is the incident was unfairly tried in the media, and that the prosecutor should not have pressed the case.
rickinco123 wrote:Can you find another straw dog argument to back up your points? Pun intended..
Haha. I don't know that I had any points :oops: I was just trying to clarify what the source of unhappiness at the outcome was, and where else things could have gone. Thanks for your response.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Coucher73 wrote:
Tony1 wrote:
Coucher73 wrote:It is unfathomable to me that the producers of the Ellen show got even one person to come to LA to talk about this, let alone eight.
Well, their expenses were all probably paid for by whoever manages the money for Ellen's show (is that how that works?). And, they get to meet Ellen, which would be awesome.
I get that it would be all-expenses paid. I don't get that people do a good deed and then feel the need to soak up the sun or get their names in the news. I realize I'm likely in the minority on the subject, but I wish people could live their lives without feeling the need or want to be on TV for it. Do they really need Ellen and a live studio audience to pat them on the back and tell them they did the right thing?
That's a bit harsh. If you watched the original thread develop, it sure didn't seem like any of those guys were going into the search with hopes of gaining fame/fortune from it. They were just animal lovers who wanted to find an abandoned dog (and did so, despite odds against it). Just because that event was noteworthy enough to attract some media attention does not mean that these guys were looking for their 15 minutes of fame... the "fame" found them.

Personally, I avoid being on the news most of the time. I've been on television a few times because of work, and I don't seek out such adventures. But, given the circumstances that took place in this case, I'd have taken a free trip to Cali to go on the show.
Randy
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy »

Just read this story in my morning paper and its my first chance to comment. My first comment, I think the rescuers going on Ellen is cheesy as all get out. Many people do great unselfish things and expect no recognition, they wanted thier 15 minutes, whatever, I hope thier happy, and the gift cards, that makes it even worse, thats profiting from a deed, they should have donated those cards to a charity.
I lossed my dog of 11 years last month, I rescued her when I was living in Colorado springs. Its hard to say what we would do in a similiar situation but Ill try. IF and thats a big IF, I had to leave my dog, my ass would have been back up there the next day with help to get her, that is a fact pure and simple. As far as this dude goes, he's been jacked around enough, Ill leave him be.