Current Conditions on Longs....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Current Conditions on Longs....

Post by broncotw »

We are planning on attempting Long's Peak on October 8th via the Loft Route.... What can we expect in regards for weather (temperatures, wind, etc.)....

Thanks in advance.....
Ted from TEXAS!
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Current Conditions on Longs....

Post by illusion7il »

Well Lets see. What is the weather gonna be like in Colorado at 14,000 ft 2 weeks from now ???????
mmmmmmm..... your guess is as good as mine

1. could be a perfect sunny day with no wind
2. could be a perfect sunny day with 50 mph wind
3. could be a perfect sunny day with 50 mph wind with alot of smoke / haze
3. could be 50 degrees on the summit
4. could be 10 degrees on the summit
5. could be 3 feet of fresh snow
6. could be a thin coating of sheer ice
7. could rain the entire day
8. could rain part of the day
9. could start out with great conditions and then all hell breaks loose
10. could be an electrical or thunder storm
11. could hail or sleet
12. could be foggy
13. Did I miss anything ?

Sorry, I dont mean to sound ignorant but Colorado 14er weather is rather unpredictable. The weather link on this site should give a pretty accurate forecast maybe 1-2 days in advance. Right now I don't know of any excessive snow or ice on any 14er that should set you back, but that could change any day. Looks like the peaks will get a little winter mix this coming week. With winter upon us, it might be wise to bring microspikes, an extra layer of clothing and possibly a trekking pole. Hope this helps....and let me know how it goes. Longs is an amazing peak !
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

The weather link will be somewhat helpful a week in advance. Keep checking as it gets closer. We could have some snow by then but maybe not. It is not unusual for it to be windy on Longs, so I'd prepare for that just in case. the Loft route had some ice as of last week so that may be something you want to consider. As mentioned microspikes would be good to have and don't weigh much (assuming you have them) but are pricey if you need to buy them. Here's the link to watch.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#

I just looked at it and snow is predicted within the week.

edit: spelling
Last edited by unclegar on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

illusion7il wrote:
Sorry, I dont mean to sound ignorant
I think that you did
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Shoot: sgladbach, globreal or fepic1 an e-mail or PM tomorrow. They're up there now camping.
They're heading up tomorrow for John's (fepic1) finisher.
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

My buddy Joe is up there camping too. Go Joe!!!
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

There are at least three conditions reports from the last week for Longs, including mine (granted, it's for the Keyhole route). Check those out for current conditions. As far as conditions for the beginning of October... like others have said, it's all up in the air. As it gets closer, check trip reports, condition reports, etc. Then pack enough layers to stay warm, maybe some heavier gloves and microspikes if you have them. They don't weigh much and are good to have just in case.
broncotw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Thanks everyone... I know the weather this time of year is very sporadic... I just wanted to hear some current reports so I could get some idea on what to pack....
Ted from TEXAS!
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

I was on Long's on Saturday for fepic1 finisher. Great weather. We ascended the loft descended via Keyhole. Loft route was totally dry void of any snow. A little ice just from the snow melt off we had last week. However, Long's is visible from my window and it was totally socked in with clouds today....

Jodi
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Some people I know did Longs yesterday and it looked, and sounded, perfect.
broncotw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Jlohara what was the temperature range during your climb?
Ted from TEXAS!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I went yesterday. It was kind of cold. I'd say below freezing above the top of the Trough as there was still rime up there from the humidity and wind over night. The wind was blowing enough to really cool things off. There was insignificant snow left from some recent storm - the whole route was basically dry except for the rime. There's quite a bit of moisture predicted over the next few days.