Awesome looking mountain

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Awesome looking mountain

Post by Scott P »

I always thought that this is one awesome looking mountain:

I don't know why I posted it, I was just thinking of it lately and it's something really different than Colorado's mountains. Probably beyond my ability, but someday I'd like to climb some of the others beauties in the region.

Any other obscure stuff your mind wanders to?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Awesome looking mountain

Post by cheeseburglar »

Is this in Asia? Is there a monastery at the top with a stairway to it?
It will be a few years before I get to Asia.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

$10 says it's sacred to the locals and no one is allowed to climb it. #-o
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

Philippines?
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

It's supposed to see a doctor if it's like that for more than four hours.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

TravelingMatt wrote:It's supposed to see a doctor if it's like that for more than four hours.

=D> I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing! I bet the girls would go nuts over this one...
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

TravelingMatt wrote:It's supposed to see a doctor if it's like that for more than four hours.
I'm glad someone else was thinking this too! HAHA
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

I'd say it would take balls to climb that one. (shoot me)
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is this in Asia?
No, this Pico Cão Grande in São Tomé and Principe, which is an island nation just off the coast of Gabon, Africa.
$10 says it's sacred to the locals and no one is allowed to climb it.
I'll take that bet, but you owe me $10. :wink:

It's a difficult climb though, too hard for me, tough the surrounding mountains are also very nice looking. It was first climbed in 1975 (I think) and has seen few ascents.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

MtMorrisonfromChocolateZoomSmall.jpg
MtMorrisonfromChocolateZoomSmall.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
mtndude3737
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtndude3737 »

Scott P wrote:No, this Pico Cão Grande in São Tomé and Principe, which is an island nation just off the coast of Gabon, Africa.
Pico Cão Grande is Portuguese for "Big Dog Peak", possibly paralleling previous posts. Do you suppose you can climb it with the vines and no rope? Do you suppose "Mutt-aneers" can climb it?
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House