Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am

......Let's welcome the coming of winter once again with the

-----------------------------Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer! ------------------------------

Where: Quandary Peak, East Ridge (Standard)
When: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 8:00 am
Summit Meetup: 12:30 to 1:00 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________

Once again it's time to celebrate the coming of winter with the 14ers gang on Quandary!
Every year around Halloween a few dozen of us get together on Quandary. Please join us!

Quandary Peak summit, 2009.

I would like to thank Steve Gladbach for the inspiration of the tradition, when took five of us newbies up Quandary on
Halloween weekend, 2009. Steve has not only been a pioneering influence in Colorado mountaineering, but has selflessly
devoted much of his time helping others achieve their mountaineering dreams. Steve, a huge thanks from all of us.

Third Annual.

Last year a number of folks wore costumes, so bring the camera! Costumes are optional, of course. The real purpose of the hike is two-fold: to welcome
the coming of the snow season, and to provide a low-risk introduction with the company of others to those wishing to learn about winter mountaineering.

If you're new to 14ers in snow season, you'll find many experienced mountaineers to hook up with on the climb.

A number of folks will be meeting in the parking lot around 8:00 am, and planning to start between 8:00 and 8:30. If you want to leave earlier, that's fine,
but I'd like to have most of us on the summit about the same time (assuming good weather.)

Many of us will be able to do the ascent in two to three hours, but leaving time for a slower pace, let's plan to meet on the summit around 12:30 to 1:00
and try to plan for summit photos, etc, around 1 pm. If the forecast is for high winds or weather, we can re-adjust plans a few days prior, as needed.

Third Annual:
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32900&start=93

Second Annual:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9379&parmpeak=Quandary+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&jan=0&feb=0&mar=0&apr=0&may=0&jun=0&jul=0&aug=0&sep=0&nov=0&dec=0&ski=Include

Please post if interested. In the event of adverse weather or avy conditions, will evaluate the week of the event, and consider an alternate date if needed.

-Jim

For those of you new to winter or Fourteeners, here are a few suggestions. You'll also find additional great info from the experienced folks on this site.

-Hydration: It is better to keep water in the pack. On a winter daytrip, bottles should not freeze in the pack. Hydration systems freeze. The line tends to freeze, even with the "freezeproof" lines. We may not have a problem this early in the season, but bottles in the pack are better. Also, even in the cold season, having at least two liters, and preferably three liters, may be well advised. Gatorade is strongly recommended over plain water.

-Clothing: In true winter conditions, gloves may be carried in addition to, but not as a replacement for, full-on mittens. For this Quandary trip in late October, forecasts will dictate. Have at least heavy gloves, like ski gloves, in addition to some light gloves. In general, have something to cover all skin. A hooded jacket is preferable for the top layer, in addition to a beanie. The jacket does not have to be waterproof, but should be fairly windproof. Wear heavier socks, and carry an extra pair of socks. Cold feet happen often during this time of year. Make sure boots are not tight fitting. Pants do not need to be waterproof, but should be insulating. No sweats. Insulated ski pants work well. A face mask is usually not necessary, but a balaclava may be good, especially in cold or windy conditions. Carry some extra layers (synthetic or down; no cotton) as it is colder up higher, especially when one stops climbing.

-Tools: Poles can be helpful. Snowshoes have not been needed on the last few annual Halloween Quandary hikes. However, a large amount of snow the day before may make snowshoes advisable. Check the forecasts and website a few days before the event. Kahtoolas (micro-spikes) are available for $60. While pricey, they are like tire chains for your boots. They are useful in both summer and winter on 14ers for traction. Lots of folks go without them, but they may help prevent a slip and fall. A GPS may be helpful. A map and compass should be a minimum requirement. Maps can be downloaded from the online 14ers guidebook on this site. An altimeter watch, in the absence of a GPS, may be helpful.

-Other stuff: We've had nice weather for most of these in October. Sunscreen is a must. SPF lip balm is very helpful. Don't forget the camera. Most alpinists always have a headlamp or at least one source of light. Gaiters may be helpful, especially if it snows a day or two before the event. However, the standard route on Quandary is well-traveled and usually very well packed. Goggles may be helpful if it's windy, very cold, or snowing, though most of the time are not needed. Sunglasses are a must, and may be used with a hat or hood for more coverage.

Remember: this is not a guided trip. Every person attending should take reasonable responsibility for their own safety. Read the section on this site about the route, download the map and description, have a reasonable idea of where you're going and how to get back, and be well-prepared. There will likely be many people on the mountain that day, and no issues are anticipated. Let's add this trip to the long list of fun, safe outings we've enjoyed together!
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25 am

First!!!!!!!!

I'm in

Postby I Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 am

I'll likely attend this as well. Thanks Jim.

Anyone interested in the Inwood Arete??? Looking at you Brian Thomas
Last edited by I Man on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby michaellyons » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

Exactly what I have been searching for to get a better education on winter mountaineering!!! I'm in!!!

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 am

We should be able to make it.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby mtgirl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

This was a lot of fun last year - I'll mark my calendar !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby mtree » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

Best I can tell, I'm all in!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby im_t_wal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 am

I have been wanting to do my first winter hike with some more experienced people, but unfortunately this is the day of my anniversary party. :(

Looks fun with all the costumes!

Postby Vermont Mike » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

I'll try to make this one, especially if anyone feels like getting to the summit a bit earlier (I'll have to be at work back in the Springs at 4 PM). One of these days I'll have a weekend off and be able to fully participate in a 14ers.com gathering! It would be good to see you again Jim . . . I'll leave Sawyer at home even though he's a veteran hiking dog now, having done a couple dozen peaks since you met him on Raspberry Mountain :)

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 am

I learned the basics of winter mountaineering on a similar hike (January Quandary IV), and I had a lot of fun returning the favor at last year's Winter Welcomer. I'm definitely in again. Especially since I missed the Fall Gathering...

I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere. In fact, if anyone wants to hike in a short ways Friday night and go over the basics of snow camping, I might just hate myself enough to be talked into it.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby aliciaf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 am

I am interested!

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am

Ooh, looks like a blast, I'll see you guys there!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Next