Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Post by TallGrass »

Let's clarify, no one is begrudging help, rather the type:

Altruistic Help: Samaritan who does what they can to assist on the needy's terms without reward. "What is right?" The wheel goes round. Large picture.

Asshat Assistance: Opportunist price-gouger that exploits their monopoly on aid and bargaining position (feigned negotiation) for their just reward of their own terms. "What's in it for me?" Small picture.

Imagine you twist your ankle late in the afternoon with clouds building, and someone helps you off the mountain including lightening your load by carrying your daypack, but then keeps your daypack. Your relatives might say it was a small price to pay to have their father/brother/son alive, but was it necessary? Even the devil can get you across the river sometimes, but you part the other bank.

I for one have added Dr. Jon's works to my list of will-not-buy/can-not-recommend, mainly because I know of them only through this, thus doing so helps him keep his work closer to the former, not the latter kind -- neutralizes it, zero net.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Dr_Jon
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dr_Jon »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.....and for all you guys and gals out there wondering, I am having lots of fun reading your criticism.

To address some of the comments and questions out there: But I certainly am going to enjoy giving everyone more fuel for the fire to talk about.

1. Latest Blog Posts seem to criticize my medical training. Granted I do have a Ph.D. in Environmental Geography, but I also have Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder training and I have a Pre-Medicine Degree from Valparaiso University. I also Interned and then Worked full time at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic (Now Steadman Clinic) In Vail, CO for 5 years, and had certified scrub tech OR privileges and sports medicine/kinesiology training. My medical training spans nearly a decade with all of this education and work. Do you still want to criticize my medical training? I didn't think so.

2. Many of you seem concerned that I am violating privacy. Joe Lodico, and Chris Lodico (close family), have emailed to personally thank me for reporting the incident and posting on my blog because when it immediately happened, they couldnt get any information and they live out of state. I have worked with the families of loved ones from climbers who have died extensively in the last decade including stemming from crises on Mckinley in 2009, and Everest recently in 2012. Most of my experiences have family of loved ones who have died and in every case the families have been appreciative of my ability to talk and share tastefully the event because it helps them deal with the tragedy in a constructive way.

3. Here is the latest written blog account on my site that all you inconsiderate people out there think I wouldn't have the heart to do....oh, I highly credited the SAR people for the phenomenal job they did....enjoy the read: http://www.jonkeverest.org/blog/2012/10 ... odico.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Finally, If I have offended anyone out there for plugging my book then so be it.....the point of doing all this wasn't for that and I am sorry you feel that way.....but I am a climber, author, scientist, motivational speaker, and hard working man. I make a living in the mountains, and it is my livelyhood. For all of you out there that have jobs as doctors and lawyers and scientists, teachers, boulder techys, and husbands and wives, you have to work towards making a living too right? What if someone was trying to stop you from making your living through criticism? I get the point about how it may came across, but that wasn't the point of my blog.

At the end of the day I just felt compelled to go and help someone because I have been on that side of that peak many times..........I feel lucky and blessed to have been able to make a difference in this man's life and nothing more....read my POST #47 off my website and thats what I said from the beginning. Until you get to meet me and come climb with me, you can say nothing, you don't know me and also I didn't see you out on that ledge and you weren't there.....Jeff was there and he needed help. please continue to pray for his recovery.

And since you all seem to be concerned over this, why dont I say please buy my book too, I would be honored if you would. Gotta love controversy! Heck check out my book tour and meet me in person if you really want to come and judge, please do so! :-D Oh and I almost forgot, email me personally with questions, I would be happy to address any questions you have, I'm at dr.jonked at gmail.

Best,

Jon Kedrowski, Ph.D
Author Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado 14er High Bivys
http://www.jonkeverest.org/ORDER-SLEEPI ... MMITS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:I've spent a lot of time thinking about Dr. Jon's post/blog...

I do think it was in poor taste, especially the "and look for my book..." at the end of the blog and another reference in his forum post here. Of course, we're all grateful for the assistance he provided to Jeff.

I'm pretty sure what I'd do if I was sitting on the rocks, head down, bloody and someone came up and took my picture - I'd probably do every thing I could to get that camera and chuck it down the mountain. If I didn't know about the pictures until later on, I'd be pissed, especially since they got to the Internet before I recovered.

All that being said, maybe Dr. Jon asked Jeff for permission before posting his blog and forum post. If so, issue solved as it relates to Jeff, but the fact that Dr. Jon's trying to sell stuff as a part of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Jeff, I wish you the very best! Get well
Bill, I think you summed up well, what a lot of us were thinking. Thanks.

I'll add that I know at least a couple of the docs on this forum. These guys are MD's (ER docs, in fact.) And no one knows it, except their personal friends. You don't see them coming on posting, "Hi, I'm Dr. So-and-so." For me, that was the first red flag. I never said anything, for two reasons - first, because I'm pretty tolerant. To each his own. But mostly, I felt it was in somewhat similarly poor taste to focus on this side issue, at that time, given the seriousness of Jeff's condition.

"Saving lives" is not about bravado, it's about humility. It's about witnessing a tug of war between your patient and the devil, and you are the conduit through which His blessings might occur. You know what to do, you're doing everything you can, but it is not in your hands. Such a position is all about gratitude, not attitude. That's what separates the real doctors from the heros.

Thanks, Bill, for saying what I imagine a lot of us felt after reading that post.

To "Doctor Jon": Thanks for helping Jeff. Perhaps you did not mean for your post and your blog to come off as it did. If so, perhaps the unintended consequences will ultimately have a positive impact.
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Dr_Jon wrote:....and for all you guys and gals out there wondering, I am having lots of fun reading your criticism.

Do you still want to criticize my medical training? I didn't think so.
This is just weird.

Get well Jeff.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Wow
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Dr. Jon,

I've been a follower of your doings in the mountains for over a year now, and can say your knowledge and skills when it comes to mountaineering are beyond what most on this forum, myself included, will ever attain. I've seen most of your youtube videos of the sunrises on the 14er summits, I've followed your blog through the Everest season, etc, and have great respect and near-reverence for your abilities as a mountaineer. All that said, your presentation of this rescue was in incredibly poor taste. You've mentioned your involvement in previous rescues and mountainside tragedies and I've been along for those journey's as well through the blogosphere and know this to be truth, but there is a "line" many of us feel you crossed by posting a picture of Jeff in his condition. I've no doubt his family is grateful beyond measure for your contributions to his safety, as any of us would be, but again, the way they found his picture through your blog may not have been so great had this ended the other way. You mention that since mountaineering is your livelihood and not your hobby that are obligated to yourself to promote your activities and doings in the mountains: being a professional in my own field, I respect this, but within limits. Taking a tragic accident whose outcome is in no way assured and making all of it public with pictures to boot to show your fine qualities and character in fact does the opposite.

Many here feel the self-promotion on your part was in poor taste and poorly presented, but you don't, and probably never will, see the merit of this point of view, and that's fine. Just be aware it's out there and is not a "fringe" group of people.

Jeff,

My prayers for your speedy recovery are with you.
Last edited by Tim A on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Where is Jim Davies with an esoteric quote when you need him?
Make wilderness less accessible.
flintster
14ers: 45 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintster »

As the OP of this thread, I am entitled to say...well nothing. And the value of internet arguing is < 0 but I have been sucked in...ugh. This thread started as a way to help find close friends of family of Jeff, as he is a very private individual, and help them get in touch with Jeff. It also evolved into helping his climbing partner express a tough situation and a rescue of Jeff's truck, which at first snow would have been stuck at LKB until May. Good stuff - I got a lot of IMs with information on tracking down Jeff's family and people trying to get info on his condition. Perhaps Jeff will like reading this thread someday, maybe even this weekend!

I think it is awesome that someone volunteered to search for Jeff - I did that route just 1 week prior at the fall gathering and if Denver wasn't 5 hours away, I think a bunch of us would have been there bright and early Sunday AM to assist. So anyone that did, you're a champ. Hats off. The way I describe that route is that it has some "randomness" to it. You can be very skilled, or not...very experienced, or not...very careful, or not...and the mountain will treat you the same. If it chooses to tumble down on you, then so be it. So we all need some help every now and then.

If I take a fall and you come rescue me, perhaps even save my life, that is super. I appreciate the help and will be there for you for the rest of my life. But if you take pictures of it and publicize it while I am unconscious getting flight-for-life'd from hospital to hospital, I will beat your ass when i wake up. Then I'll buy you a beer, or 12. But both will happen. And you can enjoy each part. :P
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dr_Jon wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinions.....and for all you guys and gals out there wondering, I am having lots of fun reading your criticism.
To address some of the comments and questions out there: But I certainly am going to enjoy giving everyone more fuel for the fire to talk about.
1. Latest Blog Posts seem to criticize my medical training. Granted I do have a Ph.D. in ***, but I also have Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder training and I have a *** Degree from *** University. I also Interned and then Worked full time at the *** Clinic (Now *** Clinic) In Vail, CO for 5 years, and had certified scrub tech OR privileges and sports medicine/kinesiology training. My medical training spans nearly a decade with all of this education and work. Do you still want to criticize my medical training? I didn't think so.
2. Many of you seem concerned that I am violating privacy. ***, and *** (close family), have emailed to personally thank me for reporting the incident and posting on my blog because when it immediately happened, they couldnt get any information and they live out of state. I have worked with the families of loved ones from climbers who have died extensively in the last decade including stemming from crises on *** in 2009, and *** recently in 2012. Most of my experiences have family of loved ones who have died and in every case the families have been appreciative of my ability to talk and share tastefully the event because it helps them deal with the tragedy in a constructive way.
3. Here is the latest written blog account on my site that all you inconsiderate people out there think I wouldn't have the heart to do....oh, I highly credited the SAR people for the phenomenal job they did....enjoy the read: ***
And Finally, If I have offended anyone out there for plugging my book then so be it.....the point of doing all this wasn't for that and I am sorry you feel that way.....but I am a climber, author, scientist, motivational speaker, and hard working man. I make a living in the mountains, and it is my livelyhood. For all of you out there that have jobs as doctors and lawyers and scientists, teachers, boulder techys, and husbands and wives, you have to work towards making a living too right? What if someone was trying to stop you from making your living through criticism? I get the point about how it may came across, but that wasn't the point of my blog.
At the end of the day I just felt compelled to go and help someone because I have been on that side of that peak many times..........I feel lucky and blessed to have been able to make a difference in this man's life and nothing more....read my *** off my website and thats what I said from the beginning. Until you get to meet me and come climb with me, you can say nothing, you don't know me and also I didn't see you out on that ledge and you weren't there.....Jeff was there and he needed help. please continue to pray for his recovery.
And since you all seem to be concerned over this, why dont I say please buy my book too, I would be honored if you would. Gotta love controversy! Heck check out my book tour and meet me in person if you really want to come and judge, please do so! : -D Oh and I almost forgot, email me personally with questions, I would be happy to address any questions you have, I'm at *** at ***mail.
Best,
Jon Kedrowski
"I am having lots of fun reading your criticism. ... But I certainly am going to enjoy giving everyone more fuel for the fire to talk about."

Sure, as long as we talk about you? Any publicity is good publicity, right? Well noted that you make zero distinction between sharing the info first with family PRIVATELY versus everyone PUBLICLY, something professionals like law enforcement, doctors, and SAR understand -- it's called ethics. Yes, counseling and discussion are helpful for a family, but find me a licensed one who does it through the media without being Jerry Springer about it (and his resume includes mayor) or publicly harking the names of private email from family.

L7's I Need comes to mind: "Enough talk about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me? What do you think about me, me, me, me..." Show of hands, who wants to hear about Jon's resume, and who wants to hear about Slimshady's progress?

I'm glad to hear Slimshady is now in the hands of professionals, but sounds like just the sort of tenacious bloke who will exceed the PT and doc's recovery timeline/goals and be right back doing what he loves. Gotta love that spirit!

FWIW, here's a "non-Jon" thread.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

Dr_Jon wrote:For all of you out there that have jobs as doctors and lawyers and scientists, teachers, boulder techys, and husbands and wives, you have to work towards making a living too right? What if someone was trying to stop you from making your living through criticism?
I am a lawyer. It's not my passion, but it is what is it: a job. I considered your above-stated quote for several hours and think it is a non-starter.

Let's assume for a moment I was not obligated to maintain strict client confidentiality. Even if I had the total freedom to do so, I would not promote my business by posting pictures of a client at one of the hardest moments of his or her life -- vulnerable and distressed -- and then blog about how I fixed the problem. This is not maintaining and promoting a livlihood, but capitalizing on the distress of another. Whether you helped this person or had permission to post the photos and the story is irrelevant. From my point of view, it's a violation of professional and mountaineering ethics. For many, this latter point is especially egregious. And I for one don't need to meet you to make this determination, as you suggest. Many of your accomplishments are outstanding, talented, and worthy of respect. This incident should be seen for what it is: a single incident. It should be a reminder to all of us of why we hike and climb, of what motivates us in the mountains, and that the ethics and morals of the mountains and those who walk and climb amongst them must come first at all costs if we are to be a better, self-sustaining, and genuine community. Many among us, me included, dream of making a living in the mountains, but would give up that dream tomorrow if it involved this brand of self-promotion. I hope we all, including you, can be introspective about your decision and the related discussion. I sure have been and it's already made me a better mountaineer, and more importantly, more self-aware of why I'm a mountaineer.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

No one knows Jon's heart or motivation. Appearances can lead us to conclusions that are false. Maybe true, maybe false.... I don't know for sure and maybe Jon doesn't really know either but I would like to think that Jon's first inclination to Paul's call to come and help was, "I can help". If his first thought was, "Hey, I can sell some books"... then he can deal with the consequences. I'm sure it was the former. I personally wouldn't mind a blog entry to tell the story of the first responder but may want a say in the matter about pictures when I was up and kickin' butt.

For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
Last edited by Johnson on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I for one have been wanting to chime in here, but as my mother says, "If you can't say something nice, don't say it." Nonetheless, I just can't help myself, so I'll say this:

I thought the rescue could have used more cowbell.
HikerHankey
14ers: 11  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerHankey »

Most self-absorbed response I have ever read. Many folks on this site, including myself, have medical credentials, doctorate degrees, etc., but we don't put it in everyone's face. I enjoy this site for the beta about routes, conditions, etc., as well as the stories of people who reach their dreams. However, Kedrowski is acting like he is somehow privileged based on his credentials and his arrogance really shows.
I appreciate helping a fellow human in trouble, but I now hope he goes back where he came from. What an ass-hat.
-Hankey