Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Bean 2
14ers: 23  16  6 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Post by Bean 2 »

Dr. Jon, or more rightfully so, St. Jon, it's rare that anyone surpasses my self righteousness and radness but you did. I bow down before you. If I ever ski Capitol or ride in another wilderness area and take a spill, I'll need a hero like you!

[youtubevideo]ap7m1CYzS6A&feature=related[/youtubevideo]
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

inthemtns wrote:so I'll say this:

I thought the rescue could have used more cowbell.

That's really what I thought but didn't want to go there. :lol:
Last edited by Johnson on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
jlodico
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jlodico »

I just wanted to let everyone know that Jeff is improving and has been moved to a private room. I encourage anyone who knows him to visit if they can.

He has a very positive attitude and has seen the video of his heli evac and thinks it cool.

As far as the latest path of this conversation, I am DISGUSTED by the track this has taken. I live in Florida and joined this forum for the sole purpose of finding out about my younger brother. I have heard positive comments from many of his friends and co-workers and people who do not even know him.

I hope he NEVER reads this and wish all of you people who choose to chastise Jon would create another thread and sow your evil thoughts on that one solely. A thread that started with the best of intentions, of finding his family has turned into a witch hunt.

I will not credit Jon with saving my brothers life, but it could very well be true. Perhaps if he was not there at 11 AM, 3 hours before the SAR team arrived he might have rolled the last 3 inches off that ledge and we would not be having this conversation. At the very least he played a very vital part of his rescue and our family will be forever grateful.

To all those of you who wish Jeff positive thoughts and prayers we thank you. To the rest of you who choose to dwell on the negative, not so much.

Joe Lodico
Last edited by jlodico on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Dave B wrote:Where is Jim Davies with an esoteric quote when you need him?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
-- Abraham Lincoln

FWIW, I don't think Jon did anything wrong here.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
zdero1
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

jlodico wrote:I just wanted to let everyone know that Jeff is improving and has been moved to a private room. I encourage anyone who knows him to visit if they can.

He has a very positive attitude and has seen the video of his heli evac and thinks it cool.

As far as the latest path of this conversation, I am DISGUSTED by the track this has taken. I live in Florida and joined this forum for the sole purpose of finding out about my younger brother. I have heard positive comments from many of his friends and co-workers and people who do not even know him.

I hope he NEVER reads this and wish all of you people who choose to chastise Jon would create another thread and sow your evil thoughts on that one solely. A thread that started with the best of intentions, of finding his family has turned into a witch hunt.

I will not credit Jon with saving my brothers life, but it could very well be true. Perhaps if he was not there at 11 AM, 3 hours before the SAR team arrived he might have rolled the last 3 inches off that ledge and we would not be having this conversation. At the very least he played a very vital part of his rescue and his family will be forever grateful.

To all those of you who wish Jeff positive thoughts and prayers we thank you. To the rest of you who choose to dwell on the negative, not so much.

Joe Lodico
As the first person to call out Jon on his post, I felt a bit of guilt that I was detracting from the original topic. However, my interpretation of the forum is that it's a place where this community comes together to learn and to problem-solve (most of the time). When Jon posted his blog with links to all of his products (even his post on this thread had a link to his products), I believed it necessitated further discussion as not everyone in this circumstance or similar would want an event like this to be broadcast to the public probably without consent of the distressed climber. Perhaps you could remark whether or not consent was given for this? Anyway the point being is that just because you, maybe Jeff, maybe the rest of the family approve of the way Jon handled this doesn't mean we all would, and I suspect that a majority would not want their situation handled like this. I would assume that almost all people finding a climber in distress would take direct action to assist the climber and think nothing of personal gain during this or waste even 10 seconds photographing the incident instead of using that time to provide direct care. For others like Jon, who admitted that he has to make his living off the mountains and situations like this, perhaps they will think twice about handling a future mountain rescue in this manner which serves the forum's purpose (IMO to educate and to problem solve).
jlodico
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jlodico »

I certainly respect everyone's right to have and voice your opinion's. What I am asking is that you create a new thread and channel all your negative thoughts there.

I have no doubt that the creator of this thread DID NOT intend it to be for criticizing other people, but for finding Jeff's family and for people to wish him well.

Create another thread, put a link to it in here and carry on that portion of your discussion there.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

jlodico wrote:I certainly respect everyone's right to have and voice your opinion's. What I am asking is that you create a new thread and channel all your negative thoughts there.

I have no doubt that the creator of this thread DID NOT intend it to be for criticizing other people, but for finding Jeff's family and for people to wish him well.

Create another thread, put a link to it in here and carry on that portion of your discussion there.

This thread= :deadhorse: .....please don't start another thread....

We have this for the positive stuff! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37904
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

14erFred wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:What a fortunate turn of events for him and how fortuitous for that help to be from a doctor no less.
His rescuer, Jon Kedrowski, has a Ph.D. in Environmental Geography and is not a physician.
I was afraid of this. I thought it strange that he mentioned "he drank some as well as he took some pain pills/ and tylenol I brought up w me" because I was taught in Wilderness First Aid that you never administer meds because you have no idea what it might do to someone who could be bleeding internally etc.

Although in all fairness, I'm sure if I were in Jeff's situation I would have wanted whatever I could get to help with the pain.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Been away for a few days. Glad Jeff is recovering!! I've personally had 9 pins in my tibia and fibia and I came out fine and am still climbing. Good luck with your recovery Jeff.
DeucesWild
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Bean 2 wrote:I'll need a hero like you!
That's messed up. I had that song in my head all day as a result of that post.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

matt pierce wrote:
14erFred wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:What a fortunate turn of events for him and how fortuitous for that help to be from a doctor no less.
His rescuer, Jon Kedrowski, has a Ph.D. in Environmental Geography and is not a physician.
I was afraid of this. I thought it strange that he mentioned "he drank some as well as he took some pain pills/ and tylenol I brought up w me" because I was taught in Wilderness First Aid that you never administer meds because you have no idea what it might do to someone who could be bleeding internally etc.
+1 on the fluids or meds. I'd be fine sharing what I had with an injured hiker if a M.D. on my cell said it was appropriate for their situation. Simple OTC pain meds can affect blood vessels' dilation and or the blood's coagulant properties, effects that might undo clotting or other natural bodily responses which are mitigating injury best left undisturbed. Other, more effective, palliative meds administered by M.D. or E.R. might induce nausea or vomiting which won't present the same choking hazard if they've had nothing to eat or drink recently.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
scottfarish
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by scottfarish »

Saw Slim at the hospital today. Given what he went through, the dude is doing remarkably well. He's already talking about some spring snow climbs =D>

If anyone is planning to visit him, he could definitely use some "real" food... i think the hospital food is making him crazy... his normal bad jokes become extra bad under the influence of hospital cuisine :)

Oh, and he really did kill a bear at age 8... that was no lie!