Honeymoon Ideas

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Honeymoon Ideas

Post by aliciaf »

I was actually thinking that we might run out of things to do in a week but now it is sounding like maybe we should try to push it to 10 days if we go to Switzerland?! I think we're really leaning towards that versus Costa Rica (our original plan). Yes, Costa Rica is more affordable and closer, but that's the beauty of it. We can take a trip to Costa Rica with relatively little planning and without having to save up a ton of money at any time. Why not go all out and do it big for our honeymoon and go to freakin' Switzerland!?! Haha :lol:

Kathy - I'll be PMing you in just a few minutes for some info and recs!
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

aliciaf wrote:I was actually thinking that we might run out of things to do in a week but now it is sounding like maybe we should try to push it to 10 days if we go to Switzerland?! I think we're really leaning towards that versus Costa Rica (our original plan). Yes, Costa Rica is more affordable and closer, but that's the beauty of it. We can take a trip to Costa Rica with relatively little planning and without having to save up a ton of money at any time. Why not go all out and do it big for our honeymoon and go to freakin' Switzerland!?! Haha :lol:

Kathy - I'll be PMing you in just a few minutes for some info and recs!
Not even close, you could spend months in any one of the places that have been recommended. Switzerland is incredible, certainly not the cheapest place, but 10 days shouldn’t break the bank. And like you said, it’s your honeymoon, go all out! Check out the Interlaken area, or climb the Matterhorn if you have $1200 to spare:)

I agree with a lot of the other recommendations; specifically Kauai and Central/South America. Buenos Aires/Patagonia would be awesome, but you would need more time to fully enjoy it. My wife and I will be headed to Colombia next month for our honeymoon….the Andes and the Caribbean, a good mix of adventure and relaxation.

BTW – Welcome to Colorado! I grew up in the Albany area too and have very fond memories of Upstate NY.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

aliciaf wrote:I was actually thinking that we might run out of things to do in a week but now it is sounding like maybe we should try to push it to 10 days if we go to Switzerland?! I think we're really leaning towards that versus Costa Rica (our original plan). Yes, Costa Rica is more affordable and closer, but that's the beauty of it. We can take a trip to Costa Rica with relatively little planning and without having to save up a ton of money at any time. Why not go all out and do it big for our honeymoon and go to freakin' Switzerland!?! Haha :lol:
Switzerland will be awesome. I went over there solo 10 years ago with a tent and sleeping bag. Wasn't too pricey. Was back recently with my wife and we stayed in nice hotels, rented a car, and ate at good restaurants. Different style trip plus the dollar was really weak. Had a great time, but we certainly paid for it. If you're going for the latter, be ready to really open your wallet.

Grindlewald, Murren, and Jungfrau area, as mentioned, is spectacular. You can stay right at the base of the Eiger. The town at the bottom of the cog rail that accesses these parts is Interlaken. Kinda the adventure capitol of the world and lots of opportunity to sky dive, go canyoneering, hang glide, etc.

Zurich can be passed on in my opinion. If you end up in Bern (the capitol) its a neat place, and a 1/3 the size of Zurich. In June the river in town should be flowing pretty quick but if you're a strong swimmer join the locals, walk up stream, jump off the bridge, and float into town. Exit before the damn.

Since Geneva is a major international hub you might end up flying in and out of there anyway. If that's the case, Chamonix is only an hour away and you can't pass up the opportunity to check out the birthplace of mountaineering and ride the tram 9,000 vert to the aiguille du midi. Maybe climb Mont Blanc above Chamonix (guided if appropriate).

Have a great trip!

p.s. if you're not yet set on Switzerland, Kauai is amazing and you would only need a week. Buenos Aires is a fun city but in my opinion you would want to link it up with a stop in the Amazon (Manaus is neat) and Rio de Janeiro. 10 days would be tight and you wouldn't be able to squeeze in Patagonia.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

A couple quick ideas, ranked in descending order of adventurousness:
Shangri-La, China (mind blowing mountains, scenary, food, people, etc)
Santiago, Chile and skiing/hiking in the Valle Nevado area
Puerto Rico
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

I would definately recommend Machu Picchu. It is an amazing place. HOWEVER, if you only have one week this trip would be rushed. Its not quick to get there (flight to Lima, flight to Cusco, bus and train rides). Also, you can't bet on the transportation to always to be running. I had to walk for 2 1/2 hours on the train track because of a transportation strike. You would also want to spend time in Cusco and Lima. I wouldn't do this trip unless you have more time.

My wife and I went to Banff for our honeymoon. Somewhat of a foreign country, but a beautiful place to hike, bike, canoe, etc.
aliciaf
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

CRAIGO wrote:I would definately recommend Machu Picchu. It is an amazing place. HOWEVER, if you only have one week this trip would be rushed. Its not quick to get there (flight to Lima, flight to Cusco, bus and train rides). Also, you can't bet on the transportation to always to be running. I had to walk for 2 1/2 hours on the train track because of a transportation strike. You would also want to spend time in Cusco and Lima. I wouldn't do this trip unless you have more time.

My wife and I went to Banff for our honeymoon. Somewhat of a foreign country, but a beautiful place to hike, bike, canoe, etc.
Banff looks gorgeous!! I think we're going to try to plan for Switzerland but I have officially added Banff to my places to visit list! :)
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I hear Detroit is nice that time of year.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

SurfNTurf wrote:I hear Detroit is nice that time of year.
+1...absolutely beautiful. Pack a vest with your gear.
aliciaf
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

Maybe we can take a walk down 8 Mile Road. Sounds pretty adventurous. 8-[
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Jeff, there is never not a nice time for Detroit. One of my favorite cities to visit for work! Maybe I can tack our honeymoon onto the tail end of a work trip and save some cash. Hike through the urban forests of the abandoned areas.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

jmc5040 wrote:
Jeff, there is never not a nice time for Detroit. One of my favorite cities to visit for work! Maybe I can tack our honeymoon onto the tail end of a work trip and save some cash. Hike through the urban forests of the abandoned areas.
+1. Detroit Rock City, baby! Go Tigers!
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

Hi, I went with my wife to the Bernese Oberland area also as part of my Honeymoon.

Interlaken is an awesome place to use as a base area for travel around the area. Lots of hotels, restaurants and shops. Its the gateway to two of the most amazing mountain valleys I have ever seen. The one in Grindelwald and Lauterbrunen. Once you drive up the Canyon you will be amazed. If it were in the US they would have a ranger station at the entrance charging $50...and people would pay it. It is that amazing.

The area is adventure paradise. Hiking, climbing, glacial travel, camping, rafting, canyoneering, paragliding etc etc. The combination of greenery, water, rock, snow and ice and overall scenery is unmatched imho. It is also easily accessible which is a bonus.