Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

how to plan ?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: how to plan ?

Postby pw » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 am

You can always stay in a motel in Buena Vista and do these too, you know, in case it's a little on the chilly side....

Someone suggested this area, same place but different options - Missouri one day, Huron the next, the only change is that you have to drive a couple of miles to get to Huron, then with a 2 wheel drive vehicle you probably have to walk a couple of miles up a jeep road (although that road is very mild as 4wd roads go, almost seems like a subaru type car could get up there). Missouri is one of those long hikes the Sawatch range is known for, Huron a bit shorter.

Postby nutan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks for your wealthy suggestions guys :-D :) =D>

we planning for Mt Evans/Mt Bierstadt and grays/torreys peak, since they are near to Denver.
\:D/

Postby XMULE » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 am

for sure on the Subaru-type road. Was there a couple of weeks ago and there were 1/2 a dozen Subarus at the trailhead.
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby nutan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am

I appreciate all the suggestions given by you. i have one more question, can we camp on trails (Mt Evans/Mt Bierstadt and grays/torreys peak) ? :-k

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Bierstadt summer trailhead is in exposed tundra and people dont camp outside there. I've seen plenty sleep in their vehicles. The formal forest service campgrounds closed in September. There are many informal spots on the Grant/south side and a few on the Georgetown/north side. At some point VERY SOON the vehicle access to the summer trailhead ends due to snow. Then people drive up as far as they can and walk extra distance.

Evans main road and campground closed in September. The 14 mile road may still be passable on foot since there have only been dustings. But big snowdrifts may block the way as the season progresses.

There is informal camping at Grays trailhead. At some point VERY SOON you can no longer drive all the way up due to snow.

You should consider Quandry if there is a lot of snow in the near future. The Quandry winter trailhead is only a half mile from the summer trail head. All the formal campgrounds by Lake Dillon have closed for the season. Its pretty much solid homes along the road. I've seen some informal camping in flat spots a mile or so up the trail.

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

nutan wrote:I appreciate all the suggestions given by you. i have one more question, can we camp on trails (Mt Evans/Mt Bierstadt and grays/torreys peak) ? :-k

Do you mean camp at the TH or along the way to the peaks? If the latter, then I'd say it's probably not worth the effort to walk in a couple miles to camp.

If the former, then there is tent (just a few yards off the TH in the trees) and car camping at the G/T TH.

I've seen tents at the Guanella Pass TH, which is above treeline, but you'd be exposed to the elements more so there than at the many campsites (both campgrounds and non-improved sites) along the way (from both Grant and Georgetown) to the pass.

There may be snow on the class 3 parts of the Sawtooth traverse.
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby Lemmiwinks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 pm

BobbyFinn wrote:There may be snow on the class 3 parts of the Sawtooth traverse.

Yeah, not sure I'd recommend the traverse in late October to someone with no experience with microspikes or an axe. Grays and Torreys is a good choice, but I'd recommend either doing just Bierstadt or just Evans on the second day (or you could do Quandary, it's still close to Denver).
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby nutan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:47 pm

THANK YOU so much for all your help guys. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

on 26th night we camped near guanella pass, with snow showers and wind we couldn't sleep the whole night. On 27th we tried Mt. Bierstadt and did it around 13,000 ft. and backed down with severe headache and fatigue.
On 28th we tried Grays and Torreys peak, but started so late that we got to stop at 12,500 Ft due to the clouds and wind. It was a nice experience and gained lot of knowledge, what to do and what not to. I am persistent on doing it again in late winter.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Postby Upstate Hiker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Every time I see the title of this post it puts panic in my heart. "How to plan?" If only, I knew. LOL

Postby peter303 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Glad you are safe.
But I'd try a first 14er in summer to avoid extra complications of winter.

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 pm

nutan wrote:THANK YOU so much for all your help guys. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

on 26th night we camped near guanella pass, with snow showers and wind we couldn't sleep the whole night. On 27th we tried Mt. Bierstadt and did it around 13,000 ft. and backed down with severe headache and fatigue.
On 28th we tried Grays and Torreys peak, but started so late that we got to stop at 12,500 Ft due to the clouds and wind. It was a nice experience and gained lot of knowledge, what to do and what not to. I am persistent on doing it again in late winter.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Glad you turned around because you didn't think it was safe. Good call! Be careful with the winter climbs. I have no experience with them but know avalanches can be a danger.

Previous