Climbing near Alma/Leadville this weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnrunner3165
14ers: 58 
13ers: 66
Trip Reports (0)

Climbing near Alma/Leadville this weekend

Post by mtnrunner3165 »

Since the weather this weekend (Oct. 19-21) is going to be about perfect, plan to work on knocking some more Centennial 13ers. If you need any of these peaks and care to join me, let me know at gharrington3165@hotmail.com ... I am in Colorado Springs. Here is the plan:

Friday, Oct. 19 leaving at about 9:30 a.m. to Fairplay to climb Horseshoe from Weston Pass, then staying at Alma's Only Hotel on Friday night.
Saturday, Oct. 20 climbing Clinton and Traver out of Montgomery Reservoir Trailhead in Alma, then driving around to Leadville and staying at Leadville Hostel Saturday night.
Sunday, Oct. 21 climbing Dyer and Gemini out of Leadville, then driving home by late afternoon/early evening.

Garry
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Climbing near Alma/Leadville this weekend

Post by geojed »

I MIGHT be doing Clinton/Traver and then Silverheels on Saturday.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
mtnrunner3165
14ers: 58 
13ers: 66
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnrunner3165 »

If you want to meet up for the Clinton/Traver climb in the morning Saturday let me know. As I said, I plan to stay in Alma Friday night (they have live music!). Already done Silverheels.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Just did Horseshoe (and Peerless) last Friday. Neat mountain. My son and I will be back Sunday as well to attempt Dyer and Gemini from the upper Iowa Gulch TH. Maybe we'll see you there!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Unfortunately, my plan is to do Silverheels first as I would love to watch the sun rising on the Mosquito/Ten Mile from its summit. Our paths might cross when I head to do Clinton.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein