Skyrace Malinche-Triple Corona

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Skyrace Malinche-Triple Corona

Post by mtnjim »

The Skyrace Malinche 16k to the summit of La Malinche, 14600' or so, is scheduled for November 11 this year. This is the first race of the Triple Corona series, the second being the Iztaccihuatl 4000 on December 2, a 25k that climbs almost 2000 meters to an altitude of 15200' on Izta's north ridge. The final race is the SkyMarathon Iztaccihuatl 21k on Dec 16. This one gains about 4000' to a 15900' high point on Izta's Arista del Sol route.

I did the first two races of the series last year and probably will this year, too. All ready have my flight for La Malinche booked for Nov 6-13. I'll probably do Izta before the race, depending on weather and Popo's mood [-o< which was kinda nasty when I was down for a race on Toluca last spring. If anyone'll be in the area, drop me a line.

Google Skyrace Malinche for some great youtube clips and slideshows of the series. I've also bumped up the "Driving MEX to La Malinche" which has some info on last year's race.

JimS
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skyrace Malinche-Triple Corona

Post by SteveBonowski »

I've done La Malinche (14,636') twice on CMC trips, most recently in 1996. Remember it as a fun climb altho the summit ridge, on what's left of the crater, was rugged in places. I can't imagine running it.