Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lackerstef
14ers: 49 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

Post by lackerstef »

Does anyone have any good beta on good places to backpack/climb near the southern Oregon Coast? I will be moving to North Bend (near Coos Bay) after the New Year and am trying to start finding some places to get out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

Post by Theodore »

You're not very far from Smith Rocks... not going to find much better climbing than that! For hiking, 3 sisters, Bachelor and Washington are just East. With a small bit of driving, you have a TON of stuff close by! I'm sure there are plenty of beach and dune hikes nearby as well.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Mt. Shasta -- it doesn't get much better! Great hiking and not too far from you. SJ Ron
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Theodore wrote:You're not very far from Smith Rocks... not going to find much better climbing than that! For hiking, 3 sisters, Bachelor and Washington are just East. With a small bit of driving, you have a TON of stuff close by! I'm sure there are plenty of beach and dune hikes nearby as well.

Er, might wanna check again. Coos Bay is a solid 5 hours from Bend which makes Smith a +30 min for a helluva long day.

The problem with the OR coast range is a lot of the land is owned by Wayerhauser and off limits.

I would look south towards the area between Ashford and Crater Lake or into northern Cali. There's some pretty good sandstone sport climbing between Coos Bay and Roseburg in the Callahans, a hell of an approach though. There are a set of climbing books for Oregon by Greg Orton. You should get the Willamette and Umpqua versions for rock and then get the Barbara Bond "Oregon Scrambles" book.

I hate to sound like a downer, but enjoy your time in the car...
Make wilderness less accessible.
lackerstef
Trip Reports (5)

Post by lackerstef »

Yea I figure for the big stuff there is going to be quite a bit of drive time involved. The way I look at it is it will be similar to getting to the San Juans from C-Springs which I've never hesitated doing. All great suggestions, thanks!

Keep it coming!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

See the book for lots of hikes in that area:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Hikes-Travel- ... ing+oregon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This book also has hikes that are farther away, but still not that far:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Southern-Or ... ing+oregon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mentioned Oregon Scrambles also has a few peaks to climb in the area.

Of course, the region is very rainy in the winter, but is really nice in the summer.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lackerstef
Trip Reports (5)

Post by lackerstef »

Purchased! Thank you!
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Don't forget about Mt. McLoughlin east of Medford. Also nearby that peak are Aspen Butte and Pelican Butte. All of them are old volcanic peaks, with McLoughlin being the largest. It is to Medford as Mt. Hood is to Portland.

Also the Trinity Alps in Northern California northwest of Redding for your more "Colorado-like" mountain ranges.
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Grayback made for a good spring snowshoe.

http://www.summitpost.org/grayback-mountain-or/152318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;