Avy Conditions this Weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Avy Conditions this Weekend?

Post by carson_h »

I'm thinking about Buckskin (NorthEast slope) and Crystal Pk (NorthEast Ridge) this weekend. The CAIC isn't reporting yet, so I don't have much insight into the conditions out there. Does anyone have firsthand data on how much snow was on the ground before this storm, how much new snow we got, how well it bonded, etc. Or is snow pack to thin too care, etc...

Thanks,

-Carson
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Avy Conditions this Weekend?

Post by Dave B »

Buckskin Joe snotel shows a mere 3" of snow at ~11.1K from this storm.
Make wilderness less accessible.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Yeah, this was a minor storm and there was very little snow prior to this. I would imagine it's very low risk right now.
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

Carson I heard there's alot more snow on Cameron Pass, though little to no base underneath. you should only be concerned about the elevated consequence of any slide or fall, that is hitting rocks and small obstacles which are everywhere. Have fun, AK
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

I've been looking at the snow totals here:

http://avalanche.state.co.us/obs_stns/stns.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I figured that there should minimal issues this weekend; thanks for the confirmation!

I'm not sure what's up with the Cameron Pass station -- it seems to be bouncing between 108" and 20". Even 20" seems like a lot.

http://avalanche.state.co.us/obs_stns/s ... 9+10574+ft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Haven't been out since Sunday so I don't have first hand info on this recent storm, but I'd be weary of any cross loaded gullies you might have to cross. Recent wind formed slab could take you where you don't want to go, as ak47 says.

If that is you in your avatar, way to rock Corbets!
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

carson_h wrote: I'm not sure what's up with the Cameron Pass station -- it seems to be bouncing between 108" and 20". Even 20" seems like a lot.
I can confirm 20" on Cameron, just had a friend pass over it and he relayed the depth to me. That corresponds with Snotel 1031 - Never Summer showing the same reading. It's pretty bottomless powder though.
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Up on Cameron pass yesterday and did a bit of digging. Overall the snow in the area we were skiing was stable but there was a crust and basal faceting below at it the bottom of the snow. Wind had formed thin soft slabs in places but nothing seemed to have much energy when put to testing. We spent most of the day on avalanche terrain and were very comfortable. That will change drastically with the next snow and maybe even by today or the next couple days because of wind and other factors.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

We hiked Uncompahgre yesterday and the wind was transporting snow all day into some compact slabs. Many of these areas had anywhere from 0.5 to 1" of hard wind consolidated snow on the surface. These areas could definitely have some risk associated with them depending on what happens between now and the next snowfall.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
Snowgirl
14ers: 15  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Snowgirl »

A friend and I went up to Butler Gulch, no more than 6 inches in some places and there was definitely cross-loading in the gullies. We made some sacrifices to the rock ski gods but if it meant making some turns in October it was worth it! From what I sampled, 4 inches of lighter snow bonded to a more wet/icy layer at the bottom. It could cause some problems later, but I'm not convinced it's going to be around after the next couple day's worth of warm weather.
Attachments
There was some snow, although my bases may argue otherwise...
There was some snow, although my bases may argue otherwise...
even more compressed oct 29.jpg (159.76 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey