Mt. of the holy cross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Mt. of the holy cross

Post by mtn_nut »

looking for info about the road leading to the trail head. According to vail resorts, they got 13" from this storm. Do they plow that road to or near the trail head, or where should i anticipate being able to get to with a 2wd car.

Also, any info about snow on the actual routes would be great if anyone heads up tomorrow. im planning on going on sunday.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt. of the holy cross

Post by TravelingMatt »

A deep gully up near a summit that caught a lot of blowing snow may have collected 13".

At 9100 feet in Summit County (note town of Vail is about 1000 feet lower), we got a total of 4-5" from the two systems that came through, and quite a bit has melted today, in addition to what melted yesterday between the two systems. Anything exposed to the sun is melting.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
craigjhn
14ers: 47  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by craigjhn »

I'm thinking about doing Holy Cross either next week or next weekend. I'd be interested to hear how the road to the TH is doing and the trail itself as well. Let me know how it goes on Sunday if you go. Thanks!
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

You can drive to the TH, icy in spots but overall dry and snow packed conditions. You've got a trail broken for ya until half moon pass. I didn't go any farther today due to weather and lack of preparation.
craigjhn
Trip Reports (2)

Post by craigjhn »

Baumgara: Thanks for the info. Having a 'trail broken' sounds like a lot of snow. Were you postholing or snowshoeing? And do you think a 2WD can make it to the trailhead?

The weather forecast now looks like a few days of warmer weather this week. I wonder how much things will melt out? I'm thinking of going on Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks again.
BAUMGARA
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

craigjhn, I'd say you'd be fine with a 2wd car, just keep your momentum up while going up the road if you encounter ice and snow. Should melt some this week. I just 6 to 8 inches of fluffy snow. I wouldn't and didn't bring snow snoes.
emohr
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (26)

Post by emohr »

My buddy Jake (jlarson630) tried to drive up there on Saturday and said he couldn't go up the road with his Isuzu Trooper because the road was too icy. He said it might have been his tires, but he said that he had no real traction.

We're thinking about getting a group together to go up on Saturday. It looks dry this week, so hopefully the road will be in better condition
jlarson630
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 11 1 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jlarson630 »

Ya just going off of what emohr said...I tried going up about 7am and the road was rather icy. I bailed on it and did not think it was worth it after almost going off the road a few times. I had 4wd but my car is pretty light and the tires aren't the best. Two heavier pickups of people going hunting were able to make it up without as much slippage. If weather reports hold up and there isn't much new snow this week I think thawing should make the road doable with good 4wd. Were planning on giving it another shot on Saturday.

Side note: I stopped one of the pickups to ask for a ride. The rough looking hunter behind the wheel gave me the stink eye and (perhaps drunkenly) said "oh you don't want to be goin' up there this time of year. Y'all gonna get lost and it'll take search and rescue days up there to find you." I decided I did not want to ride up with this guy
BAUMGARA
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

I was able to get to the TH in a 4Runner with BF Goodrichs, just keep your momentum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

when i tried to go up on saturday night, i could not make it up there either with my 2wd because of the ice. however if i would have had some tire chains, it would not have been an issue. i ended up going to a different mountain.

I'll be trying again next weekend, and i'll be bringing tire chains this time, although i bet it'll be melted out completely.
craigjhn
Trip Reports (2)

Post by craigjhn »

Well I have the front wheel drive car and I have the chains so guess I will give it a go tomorrow (Thursday). I called the local FS office and they said road is snow packed and icy still. They recommended 4wd, but mainly because it's slippery. Anybody else hiking Holy Cross tomorrow?
BAUMGARA
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

I did Holy Cross today. No problems accessing the trail head, again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just keep your momentum through the icy and snow packed sections and you should be fine. Unconsolidated snow from treeline to the summit. Annoying to hike in, BUT beautiful day up there, we didn't see a single sole the entire day, and not a breathe of wind on the summit.