Quandary East Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LoveTheRockies
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Quandary East Ridge

Post by LoveTheRockies »

Has anyone been up the standard route lately? I'm looking for a little exercise on Sunday, 11/04, and am looking for any information on current conditions. Thanks in advance.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Quandary East Ridge

Post by Tory Wells »

There's some snow, but not a lot.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

There are a few photos from last weekend in this thread. LOL http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... 29#p460629
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

Did it on Sunday after the fine folks on Saturday blazed a nice little trail. It was continuous snow to the top but not enough for snowshoes. The lower portion of the trail is likely going to be melted out though based on the warm temps this week.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

leggaj5 wrote:Did it on Sunday after the fine folks on Saturday blazed a nice little trail. It was continuous snow to the top but not enough for snowshoes. The lower portion of the trail is likely going to be melted out though based on the warm temps this week.
Agreed. I was there. Probably passed each other as I started fairly late. I didn't even put on spikes. Although with melting this week, might be a good idea.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

Does anyone have updated conditions of Quandary's East ridge since last weeks snowfall? I hear that Quandary is relatively safer than other pks from avalanches if you stay the trail, but there was quite a bit of snow last week.
Nil sine Numine
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Had a few friends go up today and they said the trail low down was packed and up high wind blown. They never used any floatation or traction, just boots. Of course as with any winter peak, conditions can change, and wandering slightly off trail one way or another can get you into avalanche terrain so use common sense and know your routes/dangers.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

Sounds good. Thank you for the information. Unless things change, I'm headed up in the morning.
Nil sine Numine
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Did anyone make it up the East Ridge this weekend? I'm looking for info on snow coverage to determine if it would be feasible to ski. Photos would be great if you have any. Thanks
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I made it up today, definitely enough snow to ski. I'm going to try to put up a tr tonight.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

GregMiller wrote:I made it up today, definitely enough snow to ski. I'm going to try to put up a tr tonight.
Good news! I'm thinking this might be on the docket for this coming weekend. Snowshoes anywhere, or is pretty well packed and/or scoured?
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Microspikes were plenty heading up in the morning. Snow was good on the way down until treeline. If I were planning to hike up and down I'd carry snowshoes up and stash them somewhere near treeline, the hikers I was with were doing a lot of postholing in the last mile or so.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes