Maroon/Pyramid

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Maroon/Pyramid

Post by jmanner »

What do you good people thing the conditions on Pyramid and Maroon are? Too wet to climb/to snowy?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Maroon/Pyramid

Post by Scott P »

Those peaks have been climbed year round, so there really is no such thing as too snowy.

Yes, there will be snow and you will need experience to do it safely. Avalanche danger should still be low and snow probably isn't consolidated enough to self arrest. Expect icy and hazardous conditions in places. If you aren't used to technical terrain in icy conditions, skip it.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Scott P wrote:Those peaks have been climbed year round, so there really is no such thing as too snowy.

Yes, there will be snow and you will need experience to do it safely. Avalanche danger should still be low and snow probably isn't consolidated enough to self arrest. Expect icy and hazardous conditions in places. If you aren't used to technical terrain in icy conditions, skip it.
Wow... what a great response... good thing you provided your advice. ](*,)
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Crusty
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crusty »

Okay, I'll bite. What did you want to hear? Mr. Manners, you're good to go! Have a swell time. \:D/
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wow... what a great response... good thing you provided your advice. ](*,)
The post wasn't meant to be rude. I have no idea as to your experience is (other than what is on your profile, which I didn't look at before posting).

The post was meant to provide a good answer to the question describing what conditions to expect and the need for experience in icy conditions (which we don't know if you have or not). I would have said the same thing to someone I knew well, was a friend, etc.

What part did you find offense with or how would you have like to see it phrased?
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Much to wet and icy for you to climb.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

... I was looking for some actual beta. Not a statement on the experience required to climb in mid-fall. Its been warm and dry for over a week; I was curious what the conditions would be like. For instance, loose snow with wet loose rock? or dry-ish rock with patches of Ice?, etc. etc. See: these are questions on the current conditions. Mostly, after reading Iman's trip report on Thunder Pyramid, I wondering if it was still like that or if the sun had done its work on these mountains.

Regardless, I apologize for my annoyed response. :oops: It was not necessary considering your obvious good intentions.

Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was looking for some actual beta. Not a statement on the experience required to climb in mid-fall. Its been warm and dry for over a week; I was curious what the conditions would be like. For instance, loose snow with wet loose rock? or dry-ish rock with patches of Ice?, etc. etc. See: these are questions on the current conditions
I'm not sure why what I posted wasn't beta. It may have been somewhat general beta, but I had a good look at Capitol and Snowmass Tuesday, but I did not climb them so couldn't be more specific. Even in the town of Aspen, there is some snow (and there still is this morning on the webcam), so it's a good bet that conditions on the peaks are icy and hazardous. It's a good bet that there will be loose, unconsolidated snow on rocks (which as mentioned you can't self arrest on), ice where there has been any melting, and some bare rock. If you are looking for something more specific than that, it will probably be hard to find as there probably haven't been any 14ers.com members who have climbed the peaks in the last couple days. If there were any very recent climbs, hopefully someone will post, but if not, a general statement such as the above is probably the best beta to be hoped for (without climbing the peaks yourself and reporting back to the rest of us).
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Scott P wrote:
I was looking for some actual beta. Not a statement on the experience required to climb in mid-fall. Its been warm and dry for over a week; I was curious what the conditions would be like. For instance, loose snow with wet loose rock? or dry-ish rock with patches of Ice?, etc. etc. See: these are questions on the current conditions
I'm not sure why what I posted wasn't beta. It may have been somewhat general beta, but I had a good look at Capitol and Snowmass Tuesday, but I did not climb them so couldn't be more specific. Even in the town of Aspen, there is some snow (and there still is this morning on the webcam), so it's a good bet that conditions on the peaks are icy and hazardous. It's a good bet that there will be loose, unconsolidated snow on rocks (which as mentioned you can't self arrest on), ice where there has been any melting, and some bare rock. If you are looking for something more specific than that, it will probably be hard to find as there probably haven't been any 14ers.com members who have climbed the peaks in the last couple days. If there were any very recent climbs, hopefully someone will post, but if not, a general statement such as the above is probably the best beta to be hoped for (without climbing the peaks yourself and reporting back to the rest of us).
I have to agree with Scott here - he gave useful advice (as he always does).

I am glad you found my TR useful - I would expect the same conditions now as I found on Sunday. The Bells and Pyramid will be VERY serious climbs. Expect more class 3 and 4 climbing than usual, on slick powder coated rock and nothing frozen in place. I.e. expect the worst conditions of the year sans Avy danger.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Yes there going to be snowy and wet. Most likely scary sugar snow. In other words, don't take offense to this, if you're asking this question if it's wet up there, you might want to rethink going up there. But I'm not going to tell anyone what to do. There is always going to be snow up high at this time of year. Good luck
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)