Sundog, Sunshine, Redcloud?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Sundog, Sunshine, Redcloud?

Post by DenneyR »

Next summer I want to hike Sundog, Sunshine and Redcloud in that order starting from the silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch trailhead

Does anyone know if the trail to Sundog and then to Sunshine well marked?

I've looked through trip reports but couldn't find much info.

Thanks in advance for any info.
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Sundog, Sunshine, Redcloud?

Post by docjohn »

Denny R,
I did just this a number of years ago and had no trail up Sundog. I hit the trail and at the South Fork junction with Silver Creek just headed up the ridge south to Sundog, then an easy amble to Sunshine then Red Cloud. The topo shows a trail to a mine above 12200, but I don't remember it. Just go early and fast, you know how fast the San Juans weather can change. As always have fun!
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

Thanks Docjon,

I thought that might be the case. I think I found this route in Roaches book and a little bit on SummitPost but could get any details.

I don't want to get my butt lost.

What are your feelings about a relative novice trying that route............or should I skip Sundog and do the regular loop around Sunshine and Redcloud?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I think it may be best to do Redcloud, Sunshine, then Sundog. 1. Descending off the scree from Sunshine will be easier than ascending. 2. The lack of trail below treeline off Sundog will not be detrimental, as you just have to follow the ridge line down to the main trail. I have a TR on the route.
bj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

I did the route last summer and there is a "hit and miss" use trail most of the way from the creek crossing to Sunshine Peak. Even if you loose the use trail the route finding is no more then trivial. As you move from Sundog to Sunshine you'll be able to see the trail up Sunshine from the distance; it looks a lot better then it actually is. PM me if you'd like pix.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
DenneyR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

thanks bj......I just sent a pm