Mt. Sopris conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
montysep
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Sopris conditions

Post by montysep »

Considering heading up Mt Sopris tomorrow. Has anyone been up the regular route in the last week? How are conditions? Do you recommend snowshoes or other? Thanks.
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Mt. Sopris conditions

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

9 days ago

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13117

I was up Cathedral yesterday but don't remember looking over at Sopris. All of the Elks have snow on them but it was only ever an issue in deep inset gullies that are shaded all day. In those spots the depth was between 5 inches and 3 feet.

I will check my pics later tonight to see if I have a shot of Sopris in the background.
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Eph 2 5 »

I'm almost positive the attached picture is Mt. Sopris. I took the picture last Wed. (Halloween) from Twining Peak near Independence Pass. Good luck with the hike.
Attachments
100_4102 resized.JPG
100_4102 resized.JPG (210.95 KiB) Viewed 572 times
montysep
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montysep »

Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't look like the snow will be as much of a factor as I anticipated.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

montysep wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't look like the snow will be as much of a factor as I anticipated.
Most of Colorado is bone dry. There is VERY little snow. There is really no snowpack just a few inches of snow remaining above 11k FT on some aspects and some snow and ice in some nooks and crannies.

Its somewhat worrisome.

There is a storm coming this weekend but most likely it will be a dud with only 6in for most but it will be wicked cold and windy compared to how its been lately. Winds out of the SW should be serious starting friday.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I got a nice look at Sopris from Basalt today. Still a little snow up there on the northern aspects.
A nice alternate route is to go directly up the ridge northeast of the summit and east of the Laundry Chutes. I got to it by turning right at the lower Thomas Lake. Some boulder hopping to get to the ridge, but once on the ridge it is pretty nice and you get a great look at the Laundry Chutes and the cliffs on the north face.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
montysep
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montysep »

Again thanks for the feedback. Saw two other people on the trail today - hunters.

These ptarmigan? were among the day's highlights.

Enough snow on the trail from the lakes to the ridgeline to slow things. But not by much.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us