Crestone Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Crestone Conditions

Post by Beas »

I wanted to climb at least one more 14er before the snow starts to really pack in. I have my sights set on Crestone Peak and was wondering if anyone had climbed it recently and could give me an update on any ice or snow along the route. This Saturday 10/20 looks to be somewhat warm and I would be stoked if I could climb Crestone Peak without having to buy crampons. Thanks!
Mountains are cool.
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Crestone Conditions

Post by B[3] »

Doubtful. When I summited Rito Alto yesterday, I was glad to have microspikes. The snow has been windblown and is quite variable--in some places, I was sinking into drifts over my boots and in others, the snow was hard enough to walk on with my microspikes.
Attachments
view from Rito Alto.jpg
view from Rito Alto.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

We did the Needle on the 20th, it was awesome!
Friday night was very windy, but it was reasonable by Sat morning and became very nice as the day went on.
Broken Hand Pass had some snow in places slighted above boot level but was all quite safe, the ridge and s face had some spotty snow that was either avoidable or very minimal. And the visibility was incredible, we did not use any traction up, we did put on micro spikes coming down through Broken Hand Pass but could have done it without them.
Hope you were able to get out, if not next time trust your gut and go see what happens.
It was the kind of day we dream of.
I did post a report.
Cheers
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

There's been no new snow for a week or two, but more is forecast for later this week. As of now south-facing routes are probably passable.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

How was the road up to the upper TH ?
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

It's bumpy but my friend made it up in a subaru, so you need a decent clearance and 4wd is good. Quite a few people on it for hunting.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

brech wrote:It's bumpy but my friend made it up in a subaru, so you need a decent clearance and 4wd is good. Quite a few people on it for hunting.
I second this. I've made it up the road twice (including after the last storm...totally dry) in an Outback. I wouldn't want anything less than an Outback.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

bump.

Wondering if anyone has been up Crestone Peak lately? Even with the few weeks of warm weather, I would guess that there is snow in the gulley? Any opinions on wether or not microspikes and ice axe will be sufficient or if someone with only minor winter experience should just stay home...?

Thanks for any info and advise!
SherpaSara
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 282 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SherpaSara »

Justin,

I was up at S. Colony yesterday to try for the Needle. I only went up to the "crux/scrambling" section to get up to Broken Hand Pass, which was holding a bit of snow (up to mid-calf in some areas). I ended up turning back, since I didn't have my ax with me and only yaktrax. All southern aspects were clear of snow. Didn't see the Peak, but it probably is snow-free for most of Red Gully based on what everything else looked like up there. Snow is supposedly coming to the Sangres this weekend, though.

Sara
stbanpiro
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stbanpiro »

I hiked the Needle the last Sunday, there are few inches of snow from the Colony Lake to the Broken Hand Pass. I didn't use microspike but I used the ax going down. The upper west side of Needle was clean.