Princeton conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
caveman_ug
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (1)

Princeton conditions

Post by caveman_ug »

Has anybody been up Princeton more recently than 10/29? I see that there hasn't been a lot of snow in the sawatch as of last week but on intending to hit it Friday night into Saturday morning. There is a forecast for one to three inches in the area. Added to what though and how is the road? Those are my main concerns.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Princeton conditions

Post by geojed »

Added to practically nothing. Check out the pictures from a week ago 11/2. http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?s ... 028&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

There is essentially no snow on Princeton right now. Forecast for tomorrow is iffy. How's things in Franktown? I used to live there.

Dave
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

I can only echo what the two others have posted. Did it on 11/3, and there was not enough snow on that whole mountain to make one snowball. Road was in fine shape.
caveman_ug
Trip Reports (1)

Post by caveman_ug »

Thanks for all the info everybody. @geezer Shanktown is as it always has been, pretty good. The beer is still cheap and cold at the sagecoach and we even have a couple of black bears roaming my neighborhood (russelville). I am planning a night ascent of Princeton if anybody is game. barring complications (aka life). I am a slow mover but well prepared.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Just got word from my weather guru. Conditions in the high country this weekend should approach absolutely miserable. This will be a cold and snowy weekend, especially for areas farther west (like west of the Divide). 8-16 inches of snow west of the Divide expected Friday through Sunday, while for the Front Range Crest range maybe 4-8 inches. Strong southwest winds will exist until Saturday morning, when they calm down to maybe 20-40 mph above 12,000 ft! Temps will drop dramatically during the day on Saturday as cold front passes and very cold air aloft moves in. Temps above 12,000 ft likely in single digits by Saturday afternoon, and may be close to zero during the day on Sunday, so any winds will create very low wind chill values. Snow will persist Saturday and Sunday, so very low visibility at times as well.

Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

caveman_ug wrote:Thanks for all the info everybody. @geezer Shanktown is as it always has been, pretty good. The beer is still cheap and cold at the sagecoach and we even have a couple of black bears roaming my neighborhood (russelville). I am planning a night ascent of Princeton if anybody is game. barring complications (aka life). I am a slow mover but well prepared.
We loved Medina's. I ate there over 1000 times over 16 years, no exageration. We stopped in last April and Pappa Ramon and Momma Theresa told us they were retiring.

The weather is beginning to change in BV as I write. The wind picked up out of the SE which is usually a bad sign and the temperature dropped some. Yesterday would have been perfect. I would try Princeton under a moon in summer. I've climbed it 9 times and know the route pretty well.

Dave
asvlaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asvlaw »

I was planning on going Saturday. If anybody goes today please report back!
caveman_ug
Trip Reports (1)

Post by caveman_ug »

Dave, Ya I saw the shift in the weather report (thanks to the weather guru) and it sounds like it would have been miserable. Which is fortunate because life intervened. I walked into a nightmare last night at home, whole family except me is down with a NASTY stomach flu. Sorry asvlaw no trip report from me.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to.
asvlaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asvlaw »

Bummer. Not sure if it will be possible for a while
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Anyone been up in the last week? I want to try tackling this one Saturday or Sunday. Forecast looks nice and sunny with tolerable winds:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/4327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any word on Mt. Princeton Road conditions? I'd like to drive to the radio towers if possible, but realize that may not be an option.

Also, if anyone else is interested in joining, let me know.
KSU Wildcat
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KSU Wildcat »

For the 1st time ever - I can help!! Today (Thursday), I hiked from the trailhead to just above the radio towers. There was patchy snow in places. At most 3" of snow, where there was snow. There were a couple of places where there was ice from melt, so you'll have to be careful there. I don't see any reason that a vehicle that can get over the uneven bumps, etc. in the road, would have any trouble up to the radio towers. Above the radio towers, there is more snow - road is mostly covered with snow, but not more then ~4" or so.
Climb on!