Discovered some Blackhawk wreckage on Mt. Massive

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Discovered some Blackhawk wreckage on Mt. Massive

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Yesterday my friend and I were climbing Mt. Massive. We lost the trail and were just forging our own way up the mountain when all of a sudden we stumbled upon wreckage from the 2009 crash. Luckily I had recorded the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cartoBNuslo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have contacted Ft. Carson describing the gear switch that I put in my pack, I described what I had and asked if they would like to have it back.

RIP :(
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Discovered some Blackhawk wreckage on Mt. Massive

Post by MonGoose »

There's a ton of debris from the crash on Mt Massive. I doubt the people at Fort Carson have any interest in the remaining debris. The wreckage from the crash and a chance to see the white marmot can make Mt Massive a special day.

Here's an MRE I found that still had the small Tabasco container in it:
An MRE found in the wreckage from the crash site on Mount Massive - July, 2010.
An MRE found in the wreckage from the crash site on Mount Massive - July, 2010.
Massive_9567.jpg (241.97 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcomm »

I was there shortly after the crash. Could actually see the exact spot of the crash back then. The cross at the trailhead is very moving. It's sad that four great guys lost their lives on this majestic mountain.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Yeah, there is quite a bit of wreckage from the crash up there. I stumbled upon several MRE's and some tools, toolbox and pieces of the fuselage during a climb in 2011. Here is part of a toolbox I ran across.
Tool chest tray and fuselage.
Tool chest tray and fuselage.
IMG00328-20110702-14455.jpg (271.03 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach