What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jbird
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by jbird »

Johnson wrote:"The Religious Affections" by Jonathan Edwards is my theological reading at the moment but in terms of climbing, my list for this year includes:

Anatoli Boukreev – The Climb

Charles Houston – K2, The Savage Mountain

Jim Wickwire – Addicted to Danger

Colorado 14er Disasters
Boukreev tells the other side of the Everest expedition that Krakauer forgot or did not want told.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

jbird wrote:
Johnson wrote:"The Religious Affections" by Jonathan Edwards is my theological reading at the moment but in terms of climbing, my list for this year includes:

Anatoli Boukreev – The Climb

Charles Houston – K2, The Savage Mountain

Jim Wickwire – Addicted to Danger

Colorado 14er Disasters
Boukreev tells the other side of the Everest expedition that Krakauer forgot or did not want told.
If you really want to know about Anatoli, don't read The Climb. It was very poorly translated. Read Above The Clouds.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

For more about Anatoli, Krakauer, and the 96 Everest disaster, Goran Kropp's Ultimate High offers another perspective, in addition to being a good adventure read. Too bad his amazing journey was overshadowed by the tragedy.
Now I'm on to When In Doubt Go Higher, the Mountain Gazette Anthology. Kind of sad sometimes if you miss the Co. of yesteryear.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

jbird wrote:Boukreev tells the other side of the Everest expedition that Krakauer forgot or did not want told.
Probably did not want told.

Krakauer is an ass.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

jbird wrote:Boukreev tells the other side of the Everest expedition that Krakauer forgot or did not want told.
Wait, you mean there is more than one way to interpret a complex, unresolved tragedy? One that assigns motivations to people who, in many cases, died in situ? I don't know, that sounds unpossible.
scalba123
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scalba123 »

pvnisher wrote:
Wait, you mean there is more than one way to interpret a complex, unresolved tragedy? One that assigns motivations to people who, in many cases, died in situ? I don't know, that sounds unpossible.
...just wait until those Missy/Lucky books that will come out next year.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Sorry if this seems overly spammy, but I'm giving a book away (your choice). Contest ends Dec 22. Just go to this link and leave a comment, that's it. http://14erskiers.com/blog/2012/12/14er ... -giveaway/
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

THE LEDGE......I have read to chapter 7 and so far it's been a great read!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ledge-Inspira ... m+davidson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Johnson wrote:THE LEDGE......I have read to chapter 7 and so far it's been a great read!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ledge-Inspira ... m+davidson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.....will have to check that one out. Something to pass the time while I am in this dreaded sling. :cussing:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

[quote="Johnson"]THE LEDGE......I have read to chapter 7 and so far it's been a great read!

+1 on second time around, compelling, compassionate and gripping.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

The fountainhead.

Thanks for asking. :-D
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:The fountainhead.

Thanks for asking. :-D
Here's some more Ayn Rand gibberish for you:

The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity. Ayn Rand

Yes, indeed. Only read the "rungs of opportunity" as the head and backs of others of lower stature.

As an architect, I don't buy her notions of politics, social order, or even her protagonist, the "hero architect".
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase