Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Presto »

by jblyth17 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I've seen many people go through this same process since....give it time, might happen to you too.
If you're lucky ... 8) :iluvbeer:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I didn't know they were available in the US. Good to know! Next time I'm Stateside I'll check it out. I haven't driven regularly on the right side of the road for a number of years now.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

jblyth17 wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
Dukietown wrote: I just can't do super hoppy beers and don't at all understand the appeal.
Practice makes perfect.

:-D Give it a shot. It'll grow on you.
Very true.

I hated hoppy beer for years, thought they were horrible. That is when I used to drink beer with fruit in it. A good buddy would always come over a leave a few pales in the fridge, and they would sit there for months. One night I had a few when I too lazy to go to the store, that is where I trace my addiction. Back then, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was insanely hoppy to me. Now, I can't even taste the hops in that beer. IPAs have killed my palate, they are the only style I drink now.

I've seen many people go through this same process since....give it time, might happen to you too.
Before we moved out here 5 years ago, my wife was under strict instructions to NEVER buy Pale or IPA's. I hated them. Every few months she's come home from the store, "Oh, I forgot."

Every time I would discuss beer with another beer fanatic they would mention IPA's. I just didn't get the attraction. Then, I started playing around with Odell 5 Barrel and it morphed into a Stone IPA, and now I am a total Hop-Head. In fact, I think I'll have a Mountain Standard Double Black IPA tonight!!! :iluvbeer:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
ameristrat
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Milwaukee's Best Ice.

Goes down like Antifreeze!!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Johnson wrote:In fact, I think I'll have a Mountain Standard Double Black IPA tonight!!! :iluvbeer:
Solid choice. I had a bomber of Double Bastard last Thursday. Have a Sublimely Self-Righteous lined up for tonight.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

This is the best thread ever, but it really needs its own forum section and a thread for each beer type: IPAs, Stouts, other Ales, Pilsners, etc. etc.

Give me Admin rights and I'll make it happen!
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

DeucesWild wrote:This is the best thread ever, but it really needs its own forum section and a thread for each beer type: IPAs, Stouts, other Ales, Pilsners, etc. etc.

Dude(s), where is that graphic for a hangover ascent?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

jblyth17 wrote:Best thing since Green Chile? I have very high expectations. It sounds tasty, I'll be on the lookout....or, let me know the next time you head down and I'll put in an order.

I'm starting a home brew batch of Bells Two Hearted - got a few bottles for you, assuming I don't mess it up.
Jason, I picked up enough to share, and I have one for you. All we need to do is meet up... Copper on Sunday? Beers next week? I'm already looking forward to the Two Hearted clone.
lordhelmut wrote:Also, an epiphany I had last night. Every time you buy a bomber of something quality, like Dugana, Pliney or Gordon's, accompany your purchase with something total s**t, like Ranger. Drink a small glass of the Ranger, then follow up with the good stuff and it elevates the taste that much more.
For example, start with the $2.49 22oz Boatswain DIPA (8.4%) that I found at Trader Joe's (worth every penny), and move to Dugana? The latter moved from a favorite to just plain sublime after a glass of the Boatswain.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Papillon wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:This is the best thread ever, but it really needs its own forum section and a thread for each beer type: IPAs, Stouts, other Ales, Pilsners, etc. etc.

Dude(s), where is that graphic for a hangover ascent?

Papi, I apologize unreservedly for my tardiness in this matter.

I have been struggling to get my estranged twin brother Ace out of the hoosegow in Uganda. This has forced me to deal with a shyster, my least favorite group of...swindlers. It has been a trial, as you might guess. And I'm hoping to help Ace avoid one. A trial that is. I understand the punishment for kwashi smuggling can be severe. I don't want a family member living their own version of "Midnight Express", even if he does take after my right-wing, close-minded, redneck Old Man.

So, as long as all goes well with Ace, I'll post your icons tomorrow.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Dukietown
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dukietown »

highpilgrim wrote:
Dukietown wrote: I just can't do super hoppy beers and don't at all understand the appeal.
Practice makes perfect.

:-D Give it a shot. It'll grow on you.
I've had some practice. There are a few pales I'll drink if they're around but it just doesn't appeal to me. I like my beer thick dark and chewy :-D If it's by choice I don't go lighter than a porter, just what I prefer 8)
"If there is such a thing as spiritual materialism it is displayed in the urge to possess the mountains rather than to unravel and accept their mysteries."
Presto
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Johnson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm

In fact, I think I'll have a Mountain Standard Double Black IPA tonight!!! :iluvbeer:
Had one of those on tap last night. =P~
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

Oak Tap It out of Cali has an unbelievable I.P.A. won the gold at the GABF this year.

Not a huge fan of crazy adjunct beers but Yak and Yeti in Arvada has a Chai Milk Stout that was quite impressive.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good