Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by DeucesWild »

Papillon wrote: Dude(s), where is that graphic for a hangover ascent?
Papi, here are a few options, because you just can't ever have enough of those. Icons, or options that is. The last is one influenced by a current desire to drink several of them. :mrgreen:
OPTIONS.jpg
OPTIONS.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
options 2.jpg
options 2.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Some of you know I'm a huge snob. For those that don't, here's proof:

Alchemist Heady Topper. American DIPA. Puts Pliny the Elder to shame. Much hoppier and cleaner.

Berkshire Brewing Company Lost Sailor IPA. Archetypal English IPA. Hoppy but unique (Kent Goldings hops, everything else in this country is just slammed with Centennial and Cascade). Supremely balanced.

Northcoast Old Rasputin. RIS. Best stout ever, especially once aged for a few months. 10% ABV and quite filling...

OB Dale's. 'Nuff said. Best go to ever. Anybody who knows the Brat Pack knows about what they did in September for Rob's friends. Always great to support a company that actually cares about their customers.
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

MountainMedic wrote:Some of you know I'm a huge snob. For those that don't, here's proof:

Alchemist Heady Topper. American DIPA. Puts Pliny the Elder to shame. Much hoppier and cleaner.

Berkshire Brewing Company Lost Sailor IPA. Archetypal English IPA. Hoppy but unique (Kent Goldings hops, everything else in this country is just slammed with Centennial and Cascade). Supremely balanced.

Northcoast Old Rasputin. RIS. Best stout ever, especially once aged for a few months. 10% ABV and quite filling...

OB Dale's. 'Nuff said. Best go to ever. Anybody who knows the Brat Pack knows about what they did in September for Rob's friends. Always great to support a company that actually cares about their customers.

110% agreed on Dale's being a go to - love it. Always have some on hand. Deviant Dales is a nice treat as well.

How does your Alchemist compare to Pliny the Younger? Because the description of Much Hoppier and Cleaner - sounds like a Younger to me.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Presto and Papillon, it is my conclusion that a person should not drink only 1 Mountain Standard. The second goes down much better than the first! :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Bean 2
14ers: 23  16  6 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bean 2 »

MountainMedic wrote:Some of you know I'm a huge snob. For those that don't, here's proof:

Brat Pack - is there anything on this earth they can't do? They have the best climbing partners in the world, write the best trip reports in the world, are the most humble people in the world and drink the best beer in the world, to which they are the greatest critics in the world. Legendary.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Johnson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm
Presto and Papillon, it is my conclusion that a person should not drink only 1 Mountain Standard. The second goes down much better than the first! :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer:
Your conclusion rings true. However, I had a couple of flights (4 brews in each flight) of many different beers so, by the end of that, everything was going down fairly easily. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Presto wrote:
by Johnson » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm
Your conclusion rings true. However, I had a couple of flights (4 brews in each flight) of many different beers so, by the end of that, everyone was going down fairly easily. :wink:
Speaking of flights...

Man, I miss Uptown Brothers.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Papillon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Speaking of flights...

Man, I miss Uptown Brothers.
:( Whatdya have to bring that up for? :wft: Plus, they had some pretty tasty food too. Those fried green tomatoes with the blue cheese crumbles were to die for.

Well, fear not, my fine palated friend ... there's many more hoppy wonders out there for us to explore. 8) :iluvbeer: That beer garden place out by Lowry has a pretty good deal on flights ... for sure. And, of course, there's always Odells ... the KING OF FLIGHTS. The four of us should get a room up there some time and wander around the microbrews for awhile. :-$
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Sorry man. I only drink Pabst. I'm ironic like that.

Seriously though, has is Ska's Euphoria come back out yet?
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Derek wrote:Seriously though, has is Ska's Euphoria come back out yet?
Yep, hit the shelves in September, release party was Sept. 7. :iluvbeer:
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

J-RockandRockpile wrote:

110% agreed on Dale's being a go to - love it. Always have some on hand. Deviant Dales is a nice treat as well.

How does your Alchemist compare to Pliny the Younger? Because the description of Much Hoppier and Cleaner - sounds like a Younger to me.
I've never had the privilege of having the Younger, although per multiple beeradvocate threads, Heady is hoppier. It's got a lot of Chinook, which gives it a rather piney taste/aroma, and you can smell it from three feet away after popping a can open. Apparently it's brewed with a type of ale yeast that flocculates at a lower temperature, which imparts a clean-drinking quality to the beer despite its 8% ABV. Most hop additions are also late, so they contribute mostly to taste and aroma rather than bitterness (although it has something like 120 IBUs). There's nothing I'd rather drink.

Bean 2, you seem like a smart guy. Let's climb something when I get back to CO.
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

MountainMedic wrote:
J-RockandRockpile wrote:
MountainMedic wrote: I've never had the privilege of having the Younger, although per multiple beeradvocate threads, Heady is hoppier. It's got a lot of Chinook, which gives it a rather piney taste/aroma, and you can smell it from three feet away after popping a can open. Apparently it's brewed with a type of ale yeast that flocculates at a lower temperature, which imparts a clean-drinking quality to the beer despite its 8% ABV. Most hop additions are also late, so they contribute mostly to taste and aroma rather than bitterness (although it has something like 120 IBUs). There's nothing I'd rather drink.
Have you had the luxury of having the Maharaja? 102 IBUs and 10.25% ABV. Its got a fantastic citrus finish and is one of my favs for sure.

Def. try and get your hands on some Younger at some point.

Maharaja - is mainly brewed with Centennial and Simcoe similar to Younger. However, Maharaja does have the Chinook hops in it as well.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good