San Juan Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

San Juan Conditions?

Post by Furthermore »

Has anyone been on peaks around Lake City? I was wondering what the road/snow conditions were and if the trailhead was still accessible to San Luis? Redcloud/Sunshine? I am looking at finishing up some 13ers in those areas.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: San Juan Conditions?

Post by Floyd »

Check out this thread: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 72#p462772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't sound too bad for mid-November.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Hey buddy - going for Stewart by any chance? 8)

My guess its either that group or the Unnamed Centennial 13ers...
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Furthermore
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Yeah, Steward was an option. I was planning on either Steward-Baldy Alto-Organ or '811, '832 on Saturday and 13313-12783 on Sunday. If anyone is interested in joining, I would like the company.
I like it on top
14ers: 46  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I like it on top »

I was down there two weekends ago the 4th, and the road to the TH's for Grizzly gulch and the American basin was clear (no snow). Depending on how much snow they got this past weekend I would imagine things are still pretty accessible.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Furthermore wrote:Yeah, Steward was an option. I was planning on either Steward-Baldy Alto-Organ or '811, '832 on Saturday and 13313-12783 on Sunday. If anyone is interested in joining, I would like the company.
I have '811 and '832, but Stewart was on my list originally for this Sunday before looking at other options. Would you need to meet at the TH? If we could get 4 (i have 2) that would be great. I know Aaron was looking at the area.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Furthermore
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

I would have to meet at the trailhead since I am working in Durango the following week. We could do a car shuttle for the 3 peaks which saves some mileage and gain. Due to driving logistics, I would need to do these peaks Saturday. Durango is only 3 hours from Spring Creek Pass whereas it would be close to 5 or 6 hours from the Steward TH.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Hi,

I am taking a small crew of CMC'ers this weekend to climb Jones Mountain (outside of Silverton)
Been tracking the weather for 4 weeks. Spoke to Mark Winkworth with USDA FS today and one of our guys talked to the Silverton Chamber of Commerce folks yesterday.

The scoop:
There has only been one storm in the area this season; the one last weekend that dumped 12"-18" in higher elevations (>10K').
A fairly stable week to settle stuff down. (Maybe in an inch here and there over the week.) There is a weak, (so far), uptick in moisture coming in today that will result in partly sunny/cloudy days for the weekend, 30% chance of snow showers, with day temps in the mid twenties, some wind, 10-15mph on Sunday. It does not sound like a San Juan dumping. Our crew is good with the forecast. AVY danger for our area is low, although still a good idea to avoid cross loaded areas on the leeward sides encountered in your climb. I am guessing that jeep roads and roads not plowed are going to be iffy for vehicle travel. In our case, we are only able to drive to Eureka, not directly to the Grouse-Burns Gulch TH. Doubles our RT milage. :(

Good luck! My guess is that the window of fairly easy access to the San Juans is closing. Soon skis, skins, backpacks & multi-days will be needed to make tracks up some of those peaks.