Grizzly/Sniktau Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
csmith
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 34 1
Trip Reports (1)

Grizzly/Sniktau Conditions?

Post by csmith »

Anyone know recent conditions on Grizzly/Sniktau? Are snowshoes needed?
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Grizzly/Sniktau Conditions?

Post by lurker »

If you are approaching from Loveland Pass, I've never needed snowshoes.
Micro-spikes maybe handy for the way up Griz, but the wind rips off most of the snow.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Right now you don't really need snowshoes anywhere in Summit County :(
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Hayden Fischer
14ers: 53  1 
13ers: 43 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hayden Fischer »

You must be coming up from Texas or something!
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Post by twhalm »

Who wants to live in Texas?!
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

Hiked up to Cupid last Monday from Loveland Pass which is on the route to Grizzly. I used mountaineering boots, but only because it was 5F with 30mph winds. Most of the snow had blown off of the ridge as of then.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FFLpilot »

You never need snowshoes on Grizzly or Sniktau. I did Sniktau and Cupid last week, and it was almost as dry as summer. The only real snow I found (other than the lee sides starting to form) was contouring along the trail between Pt. 12,915 and Cupid, back to the main ridgeline from the pass. Snow in the gullies was very firm and stable, not going anywhere.
csmith
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 34 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by csmith »

Thanks for the info. And twhalm is one to talk, considering he lives in Michigan...
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

went up cupid + grizzly today, just wore my trail runners and it was fine. the first hill is dry, the route to cupid is dry, and on the way to grizlly there are a few spots that you have to walk on snow but they are not steep or difficult...id probably say carry microspikes to be safe but its very dry.
Vincit Qui Patitur
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I came down I-70 this morning. Everything on the east side of the Divide looks very, very dry. Quite the difference from the Summit County side.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake