Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RMNP lakes, frozen?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

RMNP lakes, frozen?

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Howdy folks, I was wondering if anyone could report whether some of the easily accessible lakes in RMNP are frozen? In short, if anyone knows anything about Bear, Beirstadt, Sprague, Dream, Emerald, Haiyaha, Mills or The Loch, that would be great. Was there snow on the lakes or blown off? Estimated thickness?

...I kinda want to go ice skating.

Thanks.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Re: RMNP lakes, frozen?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Awesome!

Chasm is frozen solid. Hit it up!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Be careful on Chasm though. The ice near the shore wasn't real thick and was still moving around when I was up there two weeks ago.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Tory Wells wrote:Be careful on Chasm though. The ice near the shore wasn't real thick and was still moving around when I was up there two weeks ago.

As high up as Chasm is, it wouldn't be much of a problem to hear it moving. Especially if that was two weeks ago. Generally I wont step out unless there's two inches along the shore, and away from any moving water. It always seems to get thicker farther out.

Chasm would probably be one of the coolest places in the park, I'm definitely thinking about it now.
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby mike_kadow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am

Was out on Haiyaha and The Loch this past weekend (and a few unnamed ponds) - all were frozen very well (many inches thick) except for some obvious east edges that had open water. Of all these, the ice was relatively smooth.

No snow on them as it was quite breezy. So breezy in fact, we put our arms out and were pleasantly pushed across the smooth ice.

Postby mts4602 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:59 am

mike_kadow wrote:Was out on Haiyaha and The Loch this past weekend

How were the trails in the area?
Matt

Postby mike_kadow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm

mts4602 wrote:
mike_kadow wrote:Was out on Haiyaha and The Loch this past weekend

How were the trails in the area?

The maintained trails had a little ice, but I imagine that's gone by now. No need for yak trax regardless.

The unmaintained trails had a bit of snow - still, no need for gaiters.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 pm

mike_kadow wrote:Was out on Haiyaha and The Loch this past weekend (and a few unnamed ponds) - all were frozen very well (many inches thick) except for some obvious east edges that had open water. Of all these, the ice was relatively smooth.

No snow on them as it was quite breezy. So breezy in fact, we put our arms out and were pleasantly pushed across the smooth ice.

Awesome, thank you for the update! I was hoping either of those two would be locked up. The open water on the east is likely from the moving water at the outlet, luckily those lakes are big enough it will be easy to avoid!

Postby mike_kadow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:
mike_kadow wrote:Was out on Haiyaha and The Loch this past weekend (and a few unnamed ponds) - all were frozen very well (many inches thick) except for some obvious east edges that had open water. Of all these, the ice was relatively smooth.

Awesome, thank you for the update! I was hoping either of those two would be locked up. The open water on the east is likely from the moving water at the outlet, luckily those lakes are big enough it will be easy to avoid!

Indeed; outlets are still a bit open. Very easy to navigate and hop on. Off trail had some snow drifts up to knee-high, but mostly around 12" in areas.

Bear Lake construction was easy too; not the half hour wait it used to be.

Postby tlerunner » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:50 pm

The unnamed lakes on upper Hunter Creek looked frozen last Saturday.

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Mills and Jewel Lake were frozen well as of today.

So was the delectable water that slides down the granite slabs above Jewel lake. I'd recommend two tools and crampons for that instead of ice skates.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad