Mout Ruapehu possible eruption

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Mout Ruapehu possible eruption

Post by nyker »

Good thing I was able to climb this last year!

http://news.yahoo.com/mount-doom-likely ... 46255.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mout Ruapehu possible eruption

Post by oldschoolczar »

I believe you're talking about Mount Doom in Mordor?

I thought it erupted already when the ring dropped in the river of lava?
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yes! Awesome place really..

Scroll down my trip report for some pics of Ruapehu from last year - interestingly right before Tongariro erupted...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok this is weird though.. This would be the third volcano I climbed which then soon erupted a few months later.

(Lascar, Tongariro, now Ruapehu), ...I wonder if Rainier will erupt soon...
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

nyker wrote:Yes! Awesome place really..

Scroll down my trip report for some pics of Ruapehu from last year - interestingly right before Tongariro erupted...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok this is weird though.. This would be the third volcano I climbed which then soon erupted a few months later.

(Lascar, Tongariro, now Ruapehu), ...I wonder if Rainier will erupt soon...
Hope not.

Thanks for the TR repost, nyker. Saw it previously - amazing colors in the volcanic rock deposits. Somewhat similar to conditions that once existed in SW Colorado San Juan field, such as the La Garitas and the Redcloud group near Lake City - without fumaroles, hot springs and geysers active in NZ. Ongoing and previously-formed volcanic events produce amazing landscapes.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, it's a fantastic area. The wonderful volcanic cones and terrain, stunning colors, unique flora and fauna, the rich Maori history in the region all make it pretty unique and I'd highly recommend visiting the North Island if anyone has the chance. Mt. Taranaki is off the east also.
Yoric
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yoric »

My wife and I attempted the Tongariro Crossing twice in February of this year, but the weather was just horrible. It's really an amazing place and somewhere I plan to visit again. Over nearly a two month period we completed several Great Walks and numerous incredible hikes in NZ, but the fact that we got ran off Mount Doom twice still bothers me to this day. ](*,)
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Seems Tongariro just erupted!...many think this might trigger Ruapehu to go next.

PS: I think "Mt Doom" was actually Mt Ngauruhoe (another volcano nearby both of the above two).
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

So...I'm not really interested in climbing an active volcano. However, I am planning on going to NZ in 2013. For those of you who have climbed there, can you recommend any resources or contacts to help us plan out our trip?
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Sure, are you looking for suggestions on the North Island, South Island or both? Hiking/Trekking/other activities?
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

For some general trip planning:
The NZ National park site is pretty good:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... nal-parks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another couple of good sites:
http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/ ... eature.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.destination-nz.com/new-zeala ... reat-walks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main airports with the most direct international flights are Auckland (North Island) and Christchurch (South Island);

Look into the "Great Walks" in New Zealand - which are multiday treks across wildnerness/mountain terrain and worth exploring.
There are Nine now (there used to be only four); The Milford and Routeburn Tracks are two of the most famous, and most popular.

Assuming your comfortable with driving on the other side of the street, the best option in my opinion is to rent a car there and
do your own thing to give you the maximum flexibility. With that said, hitchhiking is more popular in NZ than in the US and is viewed as more normal, so that could
be an option also if your comfortable with it. If you are doing a long trek, renting a car may not make sense since it will be sitting in a parking lot for several days and
renting a car there is not cheap.

If you're bringing a tent for a backpacking trip, make sure it is bomber in the rain and bring extra clothes since your hiking clothes will become wet.

North Island:

Depending on when you go, I would look into the Tongariro region in the central North Island once it settles down.
It's a great area to explore with several days of trekking and mountaineering options at your disposal across stunning terrain.
See my trip report link above.

Rotorua in the North Island is also a cool area with a combination of Yellowstone-like features coupled with a rich Maori history.

I would also check out Mt. Taranaki (Egmont)on the west coast - just be warned to stay away from here in the rainy season, this area gets more
rain than most places on earth and contines for days on end without reprieve during some periods. Climbing then is discouraged...

South Island

If you want a climbing specific resource, check out these folks:
http://www.alpineguides.co.nz/programs/ ... 4AoduisA_w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are located in Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park. Even if you don't climb anything formally, a visit to the south island
should include a visit here, it's a great place! Makes for a nice drive from Christchurch also.

The Fjordland and southern Alps areas are def. worth seeing, they are remote and stunning with a few national parks there.
Base your trip here out of Queenstown, the adveture capital of NZ.
Tons of resources found there for day trips or extended treks, etc. though also tons of tourists...so plan accordingly.
There are some nice hikes starting right in town.

Kaikoura is also a nice little seafront town on the south island worth seeing. Great hiking in the mountains less than a mile from town, interesting Alaska-like beaches and you can take some cool
sealife cruises to see Killer whales, albatross, petrels, etc...highly recommended assuming you don't get seasick.

NZ also has good fishing in many places if that interests you.

Lastly, check out some local stores for Manuka honey and Icebreaker gear - you may find some good prices on both! You'll have to declare the honey on return...

Good luck!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Wow...thanks for the info! This will be extremely helpful. I'm going to send you a PM with a specific question. I hope that's okay. Thanks again!
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?