Anyone in the Gore Range recently?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Anyone in the Gore Range recently?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Specifically the Bighorn Creek and Pitkin Creek drainages, and/or the road to Piney Ranch, but any info about the west side would be helpful. Want to get a few more 13ers in while it's still summer.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Anyone in the Gore Range recently?

Post by mrburns »

Not exactly the drainage you asked about, but one drainage over, but I hiked up to just above Booth Falls on the Booth Creek trail on Thanksgiving. At the falls, which I believe is ~10,000 there was 6" or so of snow in the shade and almost no snow on the solar aspects. The trail was packed down all the way up there. Pretty bleak as far as snow, but still good conditions for climbing.

Hope this helps..
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

How did things look up high? Happen to have any pics of the partners?
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
krs1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krs1 »

Were the Booth Creek Falls frozen??? Any beta/pics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Monster5 wrote:How did things look up high? Happen to have any pics of the partners?
Ryan, my hunch is that the ridges are dry, i.e. south ridges of East & West as well as the Partner Traverse.
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

krs1 wrote:Were the Booth Creek Falls frozen??? Any beta/pics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The falls were partially frozen, I think I might have a couple pics of the falls on my camera, I will check when I get home. I don't think I took any pics that will have any beta on the partners, but I will post what I have.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

As of yesterday, Booth Falls is about half water half ice - very pretty! Very little water though compared to what it's usually like. As far as up higher goes, it's a mixed bag of conditions depending on what aspect you are looking at...some areas have knee deep snow, others are completely dry. I summited Peak H yesterday from the Booth Creek TH (west booth pass to Peak H and back over east booth pass) and have lots of pictures of the partners and surrounding area...I'll try and post some on her later tonight, but if you want anything specific, let me know!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I have my eye on the Z'/Solitude/Climbers Point ridge via the Pitkin Lake Trail, figuring snow should be minimal on those aspects and these are about the best willow-bashing conditions imaginable.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

TravelingMatt wrote:I have my eye on the Z'/Solitude/Climbers Point ridge via the Pitkin Lake Trail, figuring snow should be minimal on those aspects and these are about the best willow-bashing conditions imaginable.
I think most people would consider your Z' to be Vista Peak.
Z' (i.e., Z Prime/12,980' is to the SE of Pk Z -- or at least it makes the most sense to be there).

Edit: a post to a thread a while back from gore galore explains a little of the Z Prime vs. Vista Peak...
gore galore wrote:In the beginning there was C Prime and then the primes multiplied. When Z Prime was conceived a number of years ago it was bounced between Point 13,075 and Point 12,980 on some of the websites. I think Y became involved in the mix also. Z Prime if it is used should rightfully be Point 12,980, SE of Peak Z. "Vista Peak" is a Theron Welch name from 2000. "My hike over to the saddle was awesome. The view of Point 13,075 from this side is absolutely stunning, hence the nickname "Vista" or "Vista Peak"." Thus the ridge above the Pitkin Creek Valley and facing the Boulder Creek Valley sports a peak ("Vista"), a mount ("Solitude") and a point ("Climber's").
sstratta
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

Here's some shots from yesterday:
Attachments
Piney Drainage/Ripsaw Ridge from west booth pass
Piney Drainage/Ripsaw Ridge from west booth pass
035.JPG (159.39 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Booth Creek Drainage
Booth Creek Drainage
012.JPG (295.18 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Booth Falls
Booth Falls
004.JPG (266.47 KiB) Viewed 880 times
sstratta
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

and some more:
I would say Vista/Solitude/Climbers pt/etc. are in great condition right now - go for it! You won't need snowshoes, just maybe gaiters. Should be a packed trail up the Pitkin drainage all the way to your turn-off for these peaks.
Attachments
Close-up of West Partner and the Solitude massif in the background
Close-up of West Partner and the Solitude massif in the background
074 (2).JPG (245.74 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Looking SE from peak H
Looking SE from peak H
074.JPG (244.98 KiB) Viewed 874 times
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

road to piney last week had nothing but mud. there was some snow on the trails but mostly its muddy. not much on the gore