Anyone ever...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Anyone ever...

Post by dehrlich101 »

Has anyone out there done a OUT and BACK hike of Co School of Mines PK, Mt Flora, Mt Eva, Parry Pk A, Mt Bancroft, and James Pk from Berthound Pass?

If so, what is the mileage? Elevation gain?

It would make more since to do a car shuttle from Saint Mary's but I am doing this solo.

Thanks a lot!
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Anyone ever...

Post by Doug Shaw »

Just sit down with Google Maps or Acme Mapper for five or ten minutes and figure it out.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm thinking of doing just that, fairly soon... probably the next time there's a break in the weather and we're back into Extended Indian Summer Infinity and not in Winter. You may find some interesting beta searching, "James Peak Traverse", ala

http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/run/ber ... llins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hoping to do it in a full days time, starting a few hours before sun up and getting back to at least say, Eva before sundown. I think it's doable. It's not totally dry up there, and any additional snowfall will make things slower, but I doubt there's avy danger once on the ridge, unless you're really silly about things.
dehrlich101
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Doug Shaw wrote:Just sit down with Google Maps or Acme Mapper for five or ten minutes and figure it out.
Didn't know there was a way to figure out distance (Off road) with those programs.. I did some research but everything I found was a car shuttle from St Mary's or didnt go all the way to James Pk. Not being lazy just want some concrete numbers.
justiner wrote:I'm thinking of doing just that, fairly soon... probably the next time there's a break in the weather and we're back into Extended Indian Summer Infinity and not in Winter. You may find some interesting beta searching, "James Peak Traverse", ala

http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/run/ber ... llins.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm hoping to do it in a full days time, starting a few hours before sun up and getting back to at least say, Eva before sundown. I think it's doable. It's not totally dry up there, and any additional snowfall will make things slower, but I doubt there's avy danger once on the ridge, unless you're really silly about things.
Thanks for the link bud.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

LOJ
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Danny, I've been using the TOPO! program for mapping. It works well.
There's a pen tool you can use to trace the route, then get mileage and vertical.
There's a number of other helpful features, too. Got it at REI.
geojed
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Trimble is your friend. They have an online mapping tool where you can map out a trip, save the trip, export GPX/KML, elev gain/loss, distance, elev profile....etc.

https://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Login.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Register an account and then click on the "Post a Trip" button, then go to "Online Map Editor".
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Jed, how does that compare with GPSVis?
dehrlich101
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Danny, I've been using the TOPO! program for mapping. It works well.
There's a pen tool you can use to trace the route, then get mileage and vertical.
There's a number of other helpful features, too. Got it at REI.
Jim - Thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look at it next time I'm over there.
geojed wrote:Trimble is your friend. They have an online mapping tool where you can map out a trip, save the trip, export GPX/KML, elev gain/loss, distance, elev profile....etc.

https://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Login.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Register an account and then click on the "Post a Trip" button, then go to "Online Map Editor".
Jed, Thanks a lot. I had never heard of this website. Already mapped it out... Looks like it is 8 miles to James Pk, 16 RT.

LOJ
geojed
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Boggy B wrote:Jed, how does that compare with GPSVis?
I prefer to use Trimble because it keeps all of my trips in one place (I currently have 156 trips I've mapped, mostly hiking/climbing some road biking). I can go back and edit them anytime or make a copy of one I already have mapped and "game out" a different scenario/route very easily. Any of these maps can be shared with anyone else just by making the map public and sharing the link. If they have a Trimble account they can copy it to their account and do whatever they want with it, or if they don't have a Trimble account they can download the GPX/KML themselves.

It's very easy to upload a GPX file, thus creating a new trip in your account. Trimble doesn't do KML uploads so I use GPSVis to convert KML to GPX and then upload it.

Also, all of this functionality is there in one spot and is done "on the fly" when you create/save the map: Elev gain/loss, elev profile, distance, waypoints. I don't have to export/import files to get a elev profile or calculate elev gain/loss using another website. Exporting a GPX/KML is very easy. I can create a map with a bunch of waypoints, save it, then using my Topomap App on my IPhone I can navigate to the webpage for that trip and download it to the App.

If I want the highest quality image I use GMap4. I also use GMap4 for general "wandering around" topomaps for fun or scouting out a possible trip as I can easily switch between "topo mode" and Google Earth. Then when I want to actually map the trip I'll use Trimble for the reasons listed above.

For "pretty" elevation profiles to put in TR's I'll export the gpx and use GPSVis.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

KatieFinn's TR for the car shuttle says ~11 miles & ~4,400 feet gain.
cmcbill's TR for James Peak only says ~8.6 miles RT.

That should give you the info you need.

Have fun.
Bob