Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Commercial ventures on the 14ers

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Commercial ventures on the 14ers

Postby sam » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I used to own a guide service here in Colorado. Collecting $ for services provided on USFS land does require a permit, whether those services are for a day, week or an hour spent of public lands. In order to get a permit, the US Forest service requires that you have medical training, liability insurance, as well as submit a lot of paperwork. Some ranger districts won't even allow you to apply for a permit, as they have put a moratorium in place on issuing new permits (at least that is how it is in the Elks). Other ranger districts may allow you to submit an application but those may be harder to find. In some districts you may be able to apply for a one-time special event permit, but again each ranger district is different.

As was mentioned above, your best bet is to find out what guide service companies have permits in the area that you want to go and see if you can work with them.

Postby Hobopoet » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 pm

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Clearly, I'll have to sort through the details and decide if this is doable. One point...I lived in Durango for several years and have some pretty solid experience at altitude. I haven't posted all my 14er summits here; maybe I'll do that when I finish the list but for now it feels a little too much like boasting for me.

Again, thanks for ALL the comments!

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Hobopoet wrote:I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Clearly, I'll have to sort through the details and decide if this is doable. One point...I lived in Durango for several years and have some pretty solid experience at altitude. I haven't posted all my 14er summits here; maybe I'll do that when I finish the list but for now it feels a little too much like boasting for me.

Again, thanks for ALL the comments!

Dont worry about updating your peak list, some people are just idiots and think everyone who posts with a question is an inexperienced flatlander. Good luck with your permit!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby pvnisher » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:17 am

I think there are laws about accepting fees for transporting customers in a vehicle, too. Perhaps special permit/license or something. A standard driver's license doesn't mean you can operate a taxi or a shuttle bus or anything like that for pay.
I don't know the particulars, and if you're driving across many states there might be different rules in each state.

Anytime there is money involved Big Brother likes to step in.

It's not quite as easy as a college ski trip, huh?

Postby glacierPaul » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 am

The USFS permiting process can take up to 3 years, depending on the ranger dist. and your qualifications. I do not think you can just apply and get one, quickly, especially if you are out of state. Here in Clear Creek Ranger District, for example, you have to meet with the ranger and discuss your plans even before you fill out the app! CDOT will have the info for driving multiple passengers commercially.

Previous