Humphreys Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Humphreys Peak

Post by Matt »

Thanks, Mr. Steiner.
Gotta disagree with you here:
Mark A Steiner wrote: The highest point in AZ is not that spectacular ... but is in its own way.
The view from this summit is one of the finest in the land. Peaks in CO, even ones with more prominence (like Elbert) don't offer the expansive, endless 360 degree views that peaks like Humphreys can.

I have been up Humphreys three times in the spring via the standard (2x) and Dutchman Route. If there's enough snow for snowshoes, I'd go Dutchman. It's more direct and has really cool airplane wreckage to check out. However, the standard route may be more packed down and easier to follow, if that's what you're looking for. Agassiz is open when snow covered.
You could make a loop out of it by doing both routes.
You can also check out Arizona Hikers and hikearizona.com for beta.
The Dutchman page above and the Snow Bowl website have plenty of the info you ask for, OP.

BTW, does anyone know if "Humphrey" on SP is Flag denizen jhodlof, seen here below me on Hesperus, who used to frequent this site? I lost touch with him a couple years ago, but he was on about 67 summits of Humphreys then... Name changes on SP aren't unheard of, as Barry Raven can attest.
TravelingMatt wrote:Haven't heard that, but there are two well-known peaks named Agassiz in California and another in Utah. The other California one is near Tahoe (and I have climbed it).
Dude, what bastard made you climb an unranked peak? :shock:
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

ebnhils wrote:My understanding is that Agassiz is off limit during certain times due to fragile plant life. I think the only time it is permitted to be climbed is when snow covered.
Back in '86 that was the case when I was there, although I wasn't aware of the restriction ... I happened to summit in mid-September after a good snowfall - when the mid '80's saw active summers monsoons and early snows on the SF Peaks ... I would guess these peaks are probably as dry as the Colorado Rockies this year, based on e-mailings I receive from a resident of Parks, west of Flagstaff.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Mark A Steiner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Matt wrote:Thanks, Mr. Steiner.
Gotta disagree with you here:
Mark A Steiner wrote: The highest point in AZ is not that spectacular ... but is in its own way.
The view from this summit is one of the finest in the land. Peaks in CO, even ones with more prominence (like Elbert) don't offer the expansive, endless 360 degree views that peaks like Humphreys can.

Thanks for your amplification, Matt. When I was on Agassiz I didn't get the view you detailed in your response. Could see Fremont Peak to the east but views were blocked in other directions ... I concur with your summary and glad you experienced the 360-degree view. I have heard/read others report the same.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.
mr14ner
14ers: 24 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr14ner »

I also recommend the standard route, especially if you are not familiar with the area. You will have to start at the lower parking lot at the ski area, which is the standard trailhead. Access to the trail via the upper parking area has been closed for the past two years while they install water lines for snow making at the ski area.

Here is a link to info about the backcountry permits (scroll to the bottom of the page). It's not clear when 'winter' begins and you then need a permit.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/coconino/pa ... recreation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lastly, be prepared for wind. It can be as bad as the high peaks in CO.
mr14ner
14ers: 24 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr14ner »

Forgot to add a link to the webcam that best shows the peaks.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/webcam/webcam.php?wfo=fgz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Matt wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:Haven't heard that, but there are two well-known peaks named Agassiz in California and another in Utah. The other California one is near Tahoe (and I have climbed it).
Dude, what bastard made you climb an unranked peak? :shock:
I did it in combination with Pyramid, which *is* ranked. 8)
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

9 miles, 3350 gain for standard route is about right. No permit required, no gates to worry about. Nothing steep, first half or so in the woods. Trail gets a little faint/ambiguous after the saddle at 11,800 but you can't really go wrong. Prepare mentally for several false peaks, the last one really convincing.
Porkrind
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Porkrind »

I did it with my son in August 2007 while on a family trip to the Grand Canyon. Don't have anything new to add than what has already been said, just to reiterate that there are indeed 360 degree views as far as you can see from the summit - depending on the weather- and if clear, you can see the Grand Canyon (barely) to the north/northwest. Like said, several false summits and rocky hiking above treeline.
Porkrind
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Porkrind »

Here's my "summit shot" in August 2007 (no snow of course). This is looking to the south, the peak in the background appears higher, but is not.
Attachments
IMGP2110b.jpg
IMGP2110b.jpg (116.44 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Mark A Steiner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Porkrind wrote:Here's my "summit shot" in August 2007 (no snow of course). This is looking to the south, the peak in the background appears higher, but is not.
Must have been a good monsoon that year - very green up high and below. The Peaks are the main vent in an amazing volcanic field in northern Arizona - fresh lava flows and cinder cones all over.
Good day.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hmm, I am getting more excited about it. I've never really spent much time in that area, so will have a little more time this go around.

Thanks everyone. Looks like there is some cool stuff to see around there too - though the Grand Canyon may have some ice on the steeper portions of the trails I imagine.