Decalibron Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Decalibron Conditions

Post by ameristrat »

I have a few friends who want to do a 14er this weekend - was looking at Tenmile / Mosquito on Saturday before the storm comes in. Anyone know what the Kite Lake TH / Decalibron conditions are like? Im pretty sure my guys have spikes so my main concern is getting to the TH. Also, I'm assuming with the lack of snow that avy danger is negligible, but if someone thinks I'm wrong, please tell me.

2nd option is Quandary or Sherman. If anyone has relevant info on those too, I won't be upset :D

Thanks!

Teddy
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Decalibron Conditions

Post by B[3] »

Hiked Clinton Peak today (12/5). The road to Montgomery Reservoir was dry to the trailhead (you can't drive to the mine, as the gate is closed). I didn't get a good look at the Decalibron, but Quandary looked very dry (see photo below). It started snowing just as I got back to the car this afternoon, and Quandary was socked in when I drove past it this afternoon, so it might not stay dry.
Attachments
Quandary viewed from Clinton Peak on 12/5
Quandary viewed from Clinton Peak on 12/5
quandary.jpg (87.97 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
B[3]
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

And here's the north side of Democrat (viewed as I was heading up the 4WD road towards Clinton Peak). The lighting made it hard to get a closer shot of Democrat.
Attachments
North side of Democrat from 4WD road en route to Clinton Peak
North side of Democrat from 4WD road en route to Clinton Peak
Lincoln.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Last edited by B[3] on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

ameristrat wrote:I have a few friends who want to do a 14er this weekend - was looking at Tenmile / Mosquito on Saturday before the storm comes in. Anyone know what the Kite Lake TH / Decalibron conditions are like? Im pretty sure my guys have spikes so my main concern is getting to the TH. Also, I'm assuming with the lack of snow that avy danger is negligible, but if someone thinks I'm wrong, please tell me.

2nd option is Quandary or Sherman. If anyone has relevant info on those too, I won't be upset :D

Thanks!

Teddy
Hiked it today. No issues getting to the trailhead at Kite Lake. Worth noting that the creek coming out of Kite Lake has turned into a very good skating rink. Bring the ice skates! :-)

Peaks are very dry. However there is a lot of ice on Democrat and some on small sections of the trail up Cameron to the summit. Microspikes are ok, but crampons worked FAR better given the slope. I wouldn't recommend doing Democrat without microspikes at the very least. The other 3 peaks, not too big of a deal. Just watch your step. Once I get the pics off my camera, I can upload some wide angle shots of all 4 of the peaks tomorrow.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

B[3] wrote:And here's the north side of Lincoln (viewed as I was heading up the 4WD road towards Clinton Peak). The lighting made it hard to get a closer shot of Lincoln.
That's not Lincoln. That's Democrat's north slopes. :-)
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
B[3]
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

Thanks! I realized after I posted (while I was looking at a bigger map on my TOPO! software) but was too tired to go back and change it. I'll try again:
Attachments
So little snow.
So little snow.
Lincoln2.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 651 times