Trail conditions for Sun 12/16

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
s_mooty
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Trail conditions for Sun 12/16

Post by s_mooty »

Hey all, my buddy and I are planning on attempting our first winter summit on Sun 12/16. We're just still up in the air about which peak to go for...any suggestions? Preferably one that anyone can confirm dry for the most part, as well as decent TH road conditions (2013 stock Forester). We're both in good shape, have high cardio levels, and are set on gear. Just wanting to figure out which peak will be least difficult. If anyone can recommend one, or even a 13er, lemme know. Thanks again!
Keep it goin'
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Trail conditions for Sun 12/16

Post by DaveSwink »

Look for the Class 1/2 with the lowest wind forecast. :-D

Edit: A quick survey of the weather forecasts shows Elbert or Decalibron with sub 20 mph winds. Those would be good bets, but keep checking the forecast.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

[hall-monitor]Calender winter starts on December 21st[/hall-monitor]

On a less obnoxious note, I would imagine Bierstadt/Evans, Grays/Torreys, Quandary, Grizzly etc would make great options. I'm partial to James Peak as well, easy access and pretty nice views.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If they start on the 16th, but don't summit until the 21st, does it count? :twisted:

It's supposed to snow some every day starting Friday.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gratzo wrote:Tuesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon will be dry, then another slow-moving storm moves in from the southwest late Thursday night through Saturday. It's still very early to call exact snow amounts, but I can tell you that the southern San Juans (Wolf Creek, Durango, Silverton) will do well on Friday and will likely be the winners with this storm. But this storm won't play favorites as all mountains will see snow by Friday night into Saturday. There's a chance that the storm (or another storm on it's heels) will bring more snow during the remainder of next weekend, but it's too hard to call right now.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
lafutura
14ers: 21  6 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lafutura »

i'm still keeping an eye on weather, but if you guys are interested, a friend and i are looking at doing torreys via chihuahua gulch on sunday. our only issue will be vehicle as neither of us have a vehicle approaching the snow/dirt handling that a subaru does.

not sure this counts as your requirement of "least difficult" (for this i'd suggest sherman).

and @dave b - i'll have a look at james instead. good suggestion!
s_mooty
Trip Reports (0)

Post by s_mooty »

dswink wrote:Look for the Class 1/2 with the lowest wind forecast.
This is what I was looking for! Where can I find these "wind forecasts"?
Keep it goin'
s_mooty
Trip Reports (0)

Post by s_mooty »

This all helps a lot! Thanks for the help. As for Torreys, I am looking into it, weather depending. But if I'm heading there I'd be taking 25S and then 70W so if you're around there I could help out
Keep it goin'
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

FYI, the snowpack is pretty touchy right now where any of the new snow fell on old snow. Be careful out there and I hope your statement that you are set on gear means you have beacon, shovel, probe. Oh, and the first day of winter = 12/21/12, which is when the world is scheduled to end. With that said, carry on . . .
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

s_mooty wrote:
Pick weather by 14er from the "Weather" tab at the top of any of the 14ers.com pages, select a peak, and you'll get a day-by-day forecast that includes the wind (usually). For more detail click on the "hourly weather graph" in the forecast.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Jim Davies wrote:
s_mooty wrote:
Pick weather by 14er from the "Weather" tab at the top of any of the 14ers.com pages, select a peak, and you'll get a day-by-day forecast that includes the wind (usually). For more detail click on the "hourly weather graph" in the forecast.
Mountain Weather Forecast is a pretty nice site as well, especially if you're more visually inclined. I've found their forecasts to be less reliable than the NOAA site linked to through 14ers but it's still another good tool to use in planning. The peak selection is limited (sometimes you have to search for a larger or more popular peak in close to proximity to the peak of interest) but I like the ability to look at multiple elevations on a specific mountain.
Make wilderness less accessible.