Everest From Space

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Everest From Space

Post by Guitarzan »

Thought this was a really cool pic.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/461 ... t+everest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Everest From Space

Post by Mark A Steiner »

It certainly is. Gave quite a different perspective. The shadow from Makalu was impressive also.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

And that line of a thousand tiny dots going up the SE ridge 8)
trent
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trent »

Nice.
CAF
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CAF »

I am always fascinated by these images of earth from space. Takes me back to my Remote Sensing classes at NAU. This one had me a bit baffled however, as none of the geography and landmarks made sense to me. Then I saw this, http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nasa- ... -/1044818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spectacular photo nonetheless.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

CAF wrote:I am always fascinated by these images of earth from space. Takes me back to my Remote Sensing classes at NAU. This one had me a bit baffled however, as none of the geography and landmarks made sense to me. Then I saw this, http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nasa- ... -/1044818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I too was a bit perplexed by the photo having just returned from the Everest Region. However, I wasn't prepared to say it was incorrect.
Mark A Steiner wrote:It certainly is. Gave quite a different perspective. The shadow from Makalu was impressive also.
In light of the mistake, I wonder how Makalu was identified in the photo.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

I was definitely perplexed my the image as well and am happy to find out its not Everest as I thought I might be losing it mentally a bit :) I thought I knew the various faces, cwms, & ridges of Everest, as well as nearby Lhotse fairly well and really couldn't identify anything on the image.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

gdthomas wrote:
CAF wrote:I am always fascinated by these images of earth from space. Takes me back to my Remote Sensing classes at NAU. This one had me a bit baffled however, as none of the geography and landmarks made sense to me. Then I saw this, http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nasa- ... -/1044818/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I too was a bit perplexed by the photo having just returned from the Everest Region. However, I wasn't prepared to say it was incorrect.
Mark A Steiner wrote:It certainly is. Gave quite a different perspective. The shadow from Makalu was impressive also.
In light of the mistake, I wonder how Makalu was identified in the photo.
The rather pointed shadow to the east of "Everest" suggested its presence. But yes, re-examination of the photo does provide more questions. I've never been to the Everest region, so I'll drop out of this thread and wait for more expert opinion.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Glad to know I wasn't going bonkers in trying to find Island Peak and failing miserably. :lol:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I was struggling to locate the Everest-Lhotse-Nuptse ridge without success. Its usually pretty obvious with Everest ariel photos. I guess this explains why.
Best Regards
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

To follow up on this...

My friend Stewart Green concluded that the peak in the photo is actually 25,171-foot Saser Kangri I, in the Saser Muztagh subrange of the Karakorams. He wrote about it on his About.com blog, and the identification was verified by (mutual Facebook friend) Satyabrata Dam, who's actually climbed it.

The more you know :-D