Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hunts Pk Rd Driveable This Weekend?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Hunts Pk Rd Driveable This Weekend?

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 am

In the forecast, I see that Hunts Peak (for 11,400') is supposed to get 3-6" of new snow today and a little more on Saturday.

And for Poncha Springs, I see snow, rain, and snow (today/tonight)
And 2-4" of mixed snow/rain on Poncha Pass for today...and maybe another inch or 2 for Saturday.

For those familiar with the area, could you tell me how far (altitude-wise) I could expect to drive up FS Rd 982, this weekend? Are there many pullouts along the way?

Is the other road up better? (FS Rd 980 on my topo, but saw 580 elsewhere)

I have a stock, Jeep Liberty (4WD), good clearance, tires/tread are decent (all weather), but not anything special.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Re: Hunts Pk Rd Driveable This Weekend?

Postby Rarefied » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Unfortunately, I would say the odds of getting to 11,400' on that road are probably unfavorable. For openers, about two weeks ago on the road to not-too-far-away Carbonate Mtn. I was stopped by a stretch of solid, shoulder-to-shoulder "hockey rink ice" at 10,400'. Of course, it was also sloped :twisted: and forced me to hike up & along the hillside just to get around it. And that was before any of the recent snow activity.

Then, if I just heard the TV forecast correctly, the Sangres are looking at 10-20" of snow and I swear I heard him say 85MPH winds! When you put it all together, it's not a promising picture. 'Wish I could offer you more encouragement.

(I haven't been up either of the roads you mentioned so I can't offer any insight regarding pullouts, etc.)

R

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 am

Thank you. That helps.

I would be happy to get up to ~9000-9200'.

Anyone know if that's feasible or just fantasy?

How about 8800'?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Postby Rarefied » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Now if you're willing to settle for something around 9000' ... Hmmm? ... then I would say you stand a chance. 9k' here in the northern part of the county has little snow. But on the other hand, while in clear weather I have a solid view of Hunts, all day today it has looked very much like this shot from 10 miles north of Westcliffe:

Sangre-de-Cristo-Mountains.jpg
Sangre-de-Cristo-Mountains.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 321 times

(Source: http://www.dickgilbert.com/colocam-sangredecristo1.htm)

Also, I just checked the NOAA weather site for 11,400' on Hunts and the wind forecast for Sunday shows "only" 44MPH gusts -- just half of the 85MPH I thought I heard! So that's good news! \:D/ Finally, the snowfall updates and webcam shots at http://www.skimonarch.com can give you an idea of conditions given that they're reasonably close to Hunts. 'Hope this helps & good luck.

R