Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby ctlee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:17 pm

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:
davebks wrote:Angels and Demon's.

Both are pretty good.

*Demons.

Thank's! Your definately, the gratist!

thx man i tri.

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm

ctlee wrote:"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!

You and 49ers agree...

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby sunny1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
ctlee wrote:"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand--about an Olympian turned bombardier in WWII. Not many people knew about Louis Zamperini, an extremely talented runner. His plane crashed over the Pacific and he and his pilot survived for 47 days only to be captured by the Japanese an sent to a POW camp. I've read lots of survival stories but this one boggled my mind. It's one thing to try to survive horrible conditions--it's another to try to do it while someone is beating you senseless. Inspirational does not even begin to describe this story. Also filled with lots of interesting info about the Air Corps in WWII. I'm sorry I put off reading this one for so long!

You and 49ers agree...

Looks like 49ers and I agree.
I have Unbroken. It is one of the most riveting reads I've had in a long time. Excellent, excellent story.
49ers, how much is it worth to ya? :wink: fishdude wants to read it - it'll likely go trans-Atlantic next month.
Make me a deal. How 'bout a winter alpine excursion of my choosing? :mrgreen:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 am

sunny1 wrote:Make me a deal. How 'bout a winter alpine excursion of my choosing?

Trade you a Red Feather lakes peak bagging excursion for one of those BIG :shock: DAYS that you are partial to. I swear you won't be disappointed in Red Feather. All the sloggy parts are gone, it's just you and the top of a "mountain". All the fun of route finding and scrambling is there though.

Back to books. These have probably already been mentioned but these are some good non-fiction ones:

Endurance

2 more for Fishdude:

Reeling in Russia

Cod: A Biography of the Fish that changed the world

Postby ironman11 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:44 am

I am no counselor, but these two books should be required reading for a marriage license. You will be amazed, it will greatly change your relationships in your life and career. A must read for good management and communication.

1. Personality Plus
2. Your personality tree

Both books are by Francis Littauer

Postby douglas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Just finished a great book about computer hacking called "Ghost in the Wires" about a hacker named Kevin Mitnick - fascinating stuff.

Postby bking14ers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm

douglas wrote:Just finished a great book about computer hacking called "Ghost in the Wires" about a hacker named Kevin Mitnick - fascinating stuff.

The title alone makes me want to read that book... I'm now reading "There Must Have Been An Angel" by Lee Bergthold. A true story of two friends who take a 125 mile cross country hike/journey on a 280 degree direct compass heading from Badwater, Death Valley (-282ft below sea level), to the summit of Mt Witney, Ca. At specific check points along the way, they have their friend Doyle bring them each just two quarts of water everyday. They take nothing else from him. I'm only 1/2 finished but it's a great read so far.

Postby rijaca » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West by Stephen Ambrose.

A biography of Meriwether Lewis, and a great story about the Lewis & Clark expedition.

No GPS, no cell phones, no contact with 'civilization' for two years.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Oman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. Pulitzer winner. Connected short stories centered around the NYC rock / punk business of the 1980s. Good writing, but angsty.
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Misfit cousins in the WWII comic business. Sweet, fun, and long.
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol. Fun satire about serf owners in pre-Soviet Russia. Somehow got through college without reading it.
East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Another classic I should have read years ago. Great stylist who beats you over head with his message, a take on the Bible's Cain and Abel story.
On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Hard for me to understand the cult around this book. Sloppy and repetitive. Probably meant more when it was first published, but it didn't age well for me, at least.
In the Garden of the Beasts by Erik Larson. U.S. diplomat and his slutty daughter in Hitler's pre-WWII Germany. A little boring to read, but great stuff to think about and argue about afterward.

Postby wooderson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:18 pm

I just finished “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz (another Pulitzer winner). Thought it was hilarious and different than anything I’ve ever read.

Now I’m about 100 pages into Cormac McCarthy’s “Suttree.” Don’t want to give anything away so I won’t go into details but let’s just say there are some grotesqueries in this book that far surpass the scalpings and gory violence of “Blood Meridian” (discussed earlier in this thread).

Oman, re: Kerouac… I tried to re-read Desolation Angels a while back and found it tough to stick with, even though I remember loving it the first time around (several years ago). I still appreciate his writing though… the sloppiness of OTR is part of its appeal. It also has a lot to do with how it was written:

“The manuscript was typed on what he called ‘the scroll’—a continuous, 120-foot scroll of tracing paper sheets that he cut to size and taped together. The roll was typed single-spaced, without margins or paragraph breaks.” (from Wiki)

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Now reading the "Business Environment and Concepts" section of the CPA Excel test prep review. Finance, economics, et cetera...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

PreviousNext