Super cool gigapixle (Everest)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Super cool gigapixle

Post by gdthomas »

Presto wrote:
by lordhelmut » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm
I'll take the camera, that vantage point and a 6 of Modus over the climb.........
... and a can of pringles. :cartman: 8) :wink:
You're in luck. Pringles are quite common in villages throughout the Khumbu.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

jdorje wrote:How does one make an image like that? Is it the result of hardware that takes images with 100x the resolution of a typical camera? Or stitching together or many zoomed-in images?
"A gigapixel is a single, super high-resolution image created from a series of smaller photographs shot in sequence."
http://www.glacierworks.org/the-mission ... cierworks/
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Cool. So I just have to take 100 smaller pictures (with approximately 10x zoom) and I can stitch them together.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

TallGrass wrote:
jdorje wrote:How does one make an image like that? Is it the result of hardware that takes images with 100x the resolution of a typical camera? Or stitching together or many zoomed-in images?
400 images taken with a 300 mm lens.
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Seeing the extent of "base camp" gives me an appreciation for those poor porters / sherpas! Wow, wonder how many man-hours it would take to haul all of that up?
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Wonderful details of geologic structure on the Lhotse face, faults and folds. Most of the layered rocks are sediments including layers with marine fossils. Quite a story of uplift here.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Quite a story of uplift here.
Did you mean, "Quite an uplifting story?"
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

smoove wrote:
Mark A Steiner wrote:Quite a story of uplift here.
Did you mean, "Quite an uplifting story?"
I can "lift" with that ...

What is amazing is that marine fossils are found in sediments near the summit of Everest ... the forces required to achieve this vertical expression were staggering.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

Very cool, thanks for posting!
DanielL
14ers: 58  11  9 
13ers: 43 1 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by DanielL »

Wow, very nice! Now I really want to go climb it...
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

This is one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen. Seeing those little climbers in relation to the crevasses just below provides a crazy perspective!
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Is it me or did anyone else notice that that the safety rope on the climber crossing the ladder at the to of the Ice Falls has got some serious fray marks on it? And the climber in blue beginning the climb to Camp 1 needs to double back his harness?

To echo Bill...........W-O-W

Very nice site! Thanks for sharing.