Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Davenport's Ski the 14ers Movie at Bentgate

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Davenport's Ski the 14ers Movie at Bentgate

Postby ap snow » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks for the link Bean. I know some people who are very excited to watch this film.

Postby pvnisher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 am

So I know a little of the history with how the movie isn't being released commercially because of laws prohibiting profiting from public land. But then how did the book get released commercially?
Why is a book different than a movie? Did he have a photo permit but not a movie permit? There are lots and lots of books out there with 14ers and Wilderness/NFS/BLM/etc land in them.

I see the NFS point, you don't want Toyota out filming a commerical of their latest behemoth splashing through the Grand Prismatic Spring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prismatic_Spring

But I'm still confused why books are ok and movies aren't. Or do all the photogs out there get permits first? Do all the guys with CO calendars for sale get permits for each photo shoot?

Just curious, seems like typical bureaucracy.

Postby Bean » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:18 am

pvnisher wrote:But I'm still confused why books are ok and movies aren't.

Different laws for stills and video. Laws haven't quite kept up with technology.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby pvnisher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

Bean wrote:Different laws for stills and video.

How about a video made up entirely of stills?

Postby Bean » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:04 am

pvnisher wrote:
Bean wrote:Different laws for stills and video.

How about a video made up entirely of stills?

Video being nothing more than a collection of stills, I expect congress to resolve this issue no later than Friday, Smarch 13th.

Postby pills2619 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am

Also what the f**k is wrong with America, we allow logging and mining on BLM and in many cases NFS, yet this guy can't make a few dollars off the land by being a responsible leave no trace advocate and increasing interest in a growing sport. Idk about you but this makes me sad for our world. Make him give 10% back to the forest service or something like that but just wow...
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby Bean » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 am

pills2619 wrote:Also what the f**k is wrong with America, we allow logging and mining on BLM and in many cases NFS, yet this guy can't make a few dollars off the land by being a responsible leave no trace advocate and increasing interest in a growing sport. Idk about you but this makes me sad for our world. Make him give 10% back to the forest service or something like that but just wow...

I talked to Chris a bit back and he didn't even care about money from it anymore, just wanted people to be able to see it - USFS still said no. Fortunately, someone took care of that for him.

Postby Vermont Refugee » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:11 pm

The movie was awesome and lived up to the rumors. I can't believe that the Forest Service would limit or restrict release under non-profit or public service auspices; the repeated references to environmental history and stewardship were perfect messages for USFS. Excellent job by all concerned. When you compare the professionalism of the production to special interst movies of 30-40 years ago (we mean you, Warren Miller) you have to be impressed with the changes in technology and society.
Thank you for posting...
That's some catch that catch 22

Postby nkan02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Bean wrote:I was browsing aimlessly on Vimeo this morning and spotted this, thought some of you might be interested in it.

http://vimeo.com/56270048

Switching gears... I have finally seen the movie and now have a gaper question. :?
The first 14er Chris skied *edited: in the movie* happened to be Huron. In January. And it was the North Face, which probably runs at least 35-40 degrees in steepness. Just by coincidence, I recently was up there and had a chance to look at that face. In Avy 1 class, they told us to avoid steep terrain until Spring, when the snow layers becomes more bonded. The fact that Chris skied it in January - does it attest to his higher tolerance for risk or he somehow knew that the terrain is safe for skiing, even in January?

Last edited by nkan02 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mtnfiend » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:36 pm

nkan02 wrote:The fact that Chris skied it in January - does it attest to his higher tolerance for risk or he somehow knew that the terrain is safe for skiing, even in January?

That's a loaded question. And a person could make the argument that that slope could never be safe to ski.
avy fatalities by month.JPG
avy fatalities by month.JPG (36.31 KiB) Viewed 538 times

And not to be picky, but I believe he skied Lincoln first (at least his first success was Lincoln).
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby nkan02 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Ha, you are right. On his website it says that he skied Huron on March 2 (which is still considered winter). However, in the movie the caption says "January 26, 2006" and it is the first mountain shown skied in the movie, so I thought it was the first one. He skied Little Bear on January 10, 2007 (and one of his team had an accident, but not an avy-related).

Postby jdawud » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for posting that Bean!

And I'll +1 Chris being a really nice guy. I met him twice in Aspen, once at an environmental event, once on the Ajax gondola. Both times he was really cool and didn't seem to mind chatting, gave me some tips on where was good that day. I regret not asking him if I could try to follow him for a run or two.

Previous