What Not to Do

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What Not to Do

Post by TallGrass »

MountainMedic wrote:It's a little-known fact that multiple scenes from the film "Deliverance," including the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene, were filmed in Crestone. The banjo player in that scene is currently serving as the mayor.
Uh... no, and no. Filming locations for Deliverance (1972), Cast v. Mayor
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

It's a little-known fact that you have just been trolled.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

TallGrass wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:It's a little-known fact that multiple scenes from the film "Deliverance," including the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene, were filmed in Crestone. The banjo player in that scene is currently serving as the mayor.
Uh... no, and no. Filming locations for Deliverance (1972), Cast v. Mayor
I'm sorry. I thought my post was the most blatantly sarcastic one I've ever made, which is saying something, because I hardly ever mean what I say.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dswink might've been trolled ("Who is it?), but not I. Grew up with a canoe, know the film, and "uh... no" not even plausibly Crestone any more than an ocean beach. I do know of town where the houses have no numbers which had a well-known actor as mayor once, but AlpineDude would never guess it. Was happy to see they even had some MC-only parking spaces (too small for cars, but too big to waste). Another fun mountain "town" to check out is Chicken, AK (see FAQ and NSFAQ): three-legged dog, bushplanes, four-door outhouse... it's got it all!
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

MountainMedic wrote:I'm sorry. I thought my post was the most blatantly sarcastic one I've ever made, which is saying something, because I hardly ever mean what I say.
Haha! I guess your post was dual purpose, providing chuckles for those with snap while totally sucking in the gullible. I am disappointed that Billy Redden is not the mayor. He is the same age as me. :-D
Attachments
billy redden.JPG
billy redden.JPG (70.89 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Last edited by DaveSwink on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

DeTour wrote:
KentonB wrote: Jim Davies wrote:Crestone isn't the most rational town. The "locals" there aren't quite the same as other mountain towns, if you know what I mean.

I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment. I had my first experience driving through there this last summer... It is definitely a "different" kind of town... but hard to put into words. :-)
I tried to put it into words in my trip report on KC/Challenger ...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser
EXCELLENT trip report, by the way.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

CorduroyCalves wrote:I tried to put it into words in my trip report on KC/Challenger ...

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EXCELLENT trip report, by the way.
Thank you. That Deliverance bit was indeed a (hilarious) troll, but Crestone definitely begs for a film of some sort.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

rijaca wrote:
tlongpine wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...
1AM is not an unusual departure time. No reason to presume alcohol was involved.
After consulting with friends with considerable experience in matters like this, it's agreed that alcohol was probably involved. The unusual 1am departure being a major clue.
Sure, blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
ihaveagps
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ihaveagps »

:lol: Saguache County SAR initiated the search on Dec. 25 at 11 a.m. after the hiker did not return as expected.
--------------

As expected!! I cant stop laughing at that comment from the tribune. =D>

At least his awesome friends were nice enough to give him some pistachio's. What do you know? Pistachio's apperently diminish hypothermia. :lol:

Seriously glad that the dude lived though this tho.

Cheers!
Ihaveagps
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

There's a great line in the NY Times article on the Tunnel Creek avalanche:

Like many ideas that sound good at the time, skiing Tunnel Creek was an idea hatched in a bar.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

"SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A 43-year-old Utah woman who survived an avalanche says she felt a 'strange serenity' while trapped under the snow before she went unconscious. ... Morrey said they both have years of experienced backcountry skiing, and that they knew about the considerable avalanche danger that day. 'Our judgment was overwhelmed by the pursuit of having more fun and skiing the steeper slopes and the great Utah powder,' Morrey said."
Utah avalanche survivor recounts experience
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Well, I will be sure to pack some pistachios in with the rest of survival gear, clearly that is was saved this guys life.
I'm slower than Scott P.