Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 am

Click through the this link to Sierra Trading Post to grab today's barn burner deal. The SteriPen Traveler Mini Water Purifier for only $25. I've never used a SteriPen product before but I have heard a lot of very positive reviews about them. Seems like some pretty cheap insurance for water treatment.

(purchasing through the link above supports 14ers.com)
Where ever you are... There you are.

Re: PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Postby GregMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

Don't have any experience with this particular model, but I've been pretty happy with mine. Hasn't given me any trouble yet, but I've had trouble trusting it, and have traveled mostly with other folks who also had filters.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

I've been looking to get one of these for a while, thanks for the heads-up!

I'll mirror the positive comments re: Steripens. The one problem I have noticed however is that they seem to not be a fan of the cold and/or altitude. We took two with us on Aconcagua and ended up having to drink iodine water above basecamp.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Vids » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one

Postby Dex » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby jsdratm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 am

I ordered one. I will definitely use it for longer hikes so I can sample the mountain streams.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

I've been thinking about SteriPens for a long time, and at that price, it's hard to pass up. Just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am

For those who use steripens, how long do you find the batteries to last? Also do you typically store the steripen with batteries in place?
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby hikermike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 am

That's a great deal, thanks for the notice; just ordered one to keep in my pack.

Also, if anyone wants to save a few dollars on shipping, you can use the coupon code: SWL12

Postby colokeith » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Great deal! thanks
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby nkan02 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Dave B wrote:For those who use steripens, how long do you find the batteries to last? Also do you typically store the steripen with batteries in place?

I got 4 rechargeable AA batteries in mine. They lasted for filtering liters and liters of water on Rainier for 4 people near 10k (my Steripen is a full version). Love the product - switched from Katadyn's water filter - big weight savings, and it is a very efficient/fast way to treat water. Coincidentally, GPS batteries are also AA, so there is a backup.

http://www.rei.com/product/761906/steripen-classic-water-purifier-with-prefilter
Last edited by nkan02 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jsdratm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes one of these to sterilize 32oz of water? I tried to find it in the user manual but didn't see anything about it.

Next