Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I-70 Twin Tunnels Construction

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels Construction

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Jim Davies wrote:A year or two ago, they had a variable message sign that said "Slow Down" just before the eastbound tunnel entrance. Even when traffic was going 5 mph. :wft:

It changed from Slow Down to BUMP!!!! at some point.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby mtn_nut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:18 am

awesome. now can they make it a three lane road on the east bound side from silverplume to idaho springs, or at least from empire to idaho springs?!?!

Postby glacierPaul » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:I have never been able to pin point why traffic always slows down at that spot. My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic. So I am not sure all this work is going improve things. It seems like it would be a lot easier to just blow up that whole hillside or permanently build around it, and get rid of the tunnels all together. Then you eliminate tunnel fear.

I said the same thing, was told that the 'hillside' is a natural wildlife bridge for the sheep/deer to cross the highway there.
edit: I agree with winmag

Postby yorksman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 am

3 Lanes just before and after is barely going to make any improvement. The bigger issue is the turns after the tunnel until the base of Floyd Hill where more 18 wheelers flip on there sides from going to fast around the corners. IMO they need to straighten this section out build more tunnels, things flow better in straight lines not around sharp corners. I just pray to god that they don't ever build a light rail transit system it will never work just start working on adding 3 lanes both directions on I-70.
http://www.jodygrigg.com - Colorado Fourteener photos and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

Postby kbmiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 am

Fill the tunnels with ANFO, string out some det cord, plug the ends with some concrete to keep some containment, set up stadium seating and sell tickets. I would pay $50 to watch the show.

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

How about this simple concept; Enforce the current traffic laws pertaining impedement and there would be no need to spend taxpayer dollars on an expansion. A billion was spent on T-Rex and it still took my ex-wife the same amount of time to travel to the tech center. Zero improvement!
Coming back from Breck Saturday I watched over 30 situations before getting to 470 that an officer could have ticketed drivers for impeding traffic.
I drive fast, usally 80+mph, but when someone comes up behind me, I move one lane right and let them pass. It's real simple to do.... Turn on blinker, check mirrors, move to the right. :lol:
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby rijaca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:How about this simple concept; Enforce the current traffic laws ....I drive fast, usually 80+mph

Yep.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Tony1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm

rijaca wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:How about this simple concept; Enforce the current traffic laws ....I drive fast, usually 80+mph

Yep.

Surely half that post must be a joke...

Postby lodgling » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic.

And here I thought I had diagnosed "tunnel fear" (and coined the term) long ago. Great minds and all I guess. That tunnel does look very small from about the exact point the brake lights tend to start up . . .

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Tony1 wrote:
rijaca wrote:

Yep.

Surely half that post must be a joke...

Yes, I'm being a sarcastic ass. It's jokingly put just as the concept of more lanes will equil better flow. It will not. Or more gun laws will prevent crime. It will not. Like my first post, three lanes just means three people running 30mph side by side. Courteous driving is a skill long gone in our society. :-D
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Actually, the real problem is that at peak flows I70 has almost twice as many vehicles as it was originally designed for and the powers that be can't agree on a solution. More lanes would actually help, but only for a while. As we all know, when you top Floyd Hill on the 3 lane, speeds usually pick up significantly. It is a complex political and engineering problem, but given that the front range is fairly progressive when it comes to the whole energy efficiency thing, I am optimistic that an uber expensive train system could actually get pushed through and work some day. And yes, I know the history of this idea.

A start at DIA, stops in some of those Denver places, Golden, US40, Loveland, Silverthorne, Copper, and finish in Vail. Using existing bus systems to and from the stations. It's very Euro, and likely won't happen in my lifetime, but it is the best option currently available. A pilot's license is a nice bridge though :-D .
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Previous