Can you hike Clear Creek ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Can you hike Clear Creek ?

Post by jomagam »

I was driving along it on 6 yesterday and it seemed that the ice was pretty thick with at most a couple of feet gap between the the left and right side ice sheets ? Do people hike up on the ice ? It would be cool to do if it's reasonably safe.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Can you hike Clear Creek ?

Post by pseudoghost »

You might be OK if you stay near the shoreline, but I'd guess its probably pretty thin towards the middle of the creek. I've seen some sections that are frozen over down in Golden that look pretty solid, but are actually overhangs. I've seen a few calve off on people who were on them... I might consider it after a coldsnap, but right now it might be sketchy.

Could be interesting though. Let me know if you decide to give it a shot.
midwestcoast
Trip Reports (0)

Post by midwestcoast »

Personally, I'd never set foot on ice over running water, no matter how cold it's been.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

Here's a pic from ten mile creek (near copper mtn) in january a few years ago
1941_510383890395_3629_n.jpg
1941_510383890395_3629_n.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
a couple of weeks later, I put a foot through the ice crossing at the same spot
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

midwestcoast wrote:Personally, I'd never set foot on ice over running water, no matter how cold it's been.
Agree.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I think you'd be asking for serious trouble. Even in the back bowls of the ski resorts (Keystone, Vail) you can fall through the snow into little creeks flowing under the snow, which flat out sucks.
midwestcoast
Trip Reports (0)

Post by midwestcoast »

The obvious issue is that running water doesn't like to freeze and will eat away at the bottom of what ice there is, limiting it's thickness.

The less obvious problem is that if its been cold for a while, creek/river ice can actually get MORE dangerous. When it's been cold for a while, melt runoff slows and the water level drops. Any ice that has already formed, especially if it spans the entire width of the creek, might stay where it is. This leaves an air gap between the ice and the water and even 6 inches of ice will break under your weight if there isn't anything but air below it.

Ice will also flow down stream and pile up when it's warmer, then it freezes and gets buried under snow during a cold snap and you can end up with multiple layers of ice/air/ice/air/water. It's just impossible to tell what you're really standing on a lot of the time. You might be fine or you might go for a swim, it's just a LOT less predictable than lake ice. If you know the creek well and know how deep it is, it might be worth the risk to you. Otherwise it could be a pretty big gamble. JMHO.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

A new sport perhaps? River walking. Or riverneering. I have actually walked up and down Clear Creek ice many a time while trying to eke out the last few days of the flyfishing season. I do suggest waders.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

midwestcoast wrote:Personally, I'd never set foot on ice over running water, no matter how cold it's been.
+1

Take a long pole with you to put across the hole, should you fall through, so you can pull yourself out. It'd be hazardous to fall through and be swept downstream under the ice.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.