Mt Whitney, Ca.

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Whitney, Ca.

Post by swadmin »

Has anyone ever done MR up and standard route down as a day trip? Love the scrambling of MR but not sure I can do it with a 40lb pack.
Steve C
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Steve C »

swadmin:

That is a nice way to do Mt Whitney, if you are capable of doing the Mountaineers Route. It is more direct going up the MR; then going down the trail, you see different scenery, is much less steep, and you get a flavor of the more public part of the Whitney experience.

You can find lots of info on the MR here Mountaineer's Route info links within...
swadmin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

Based on the TRs I read on this site, it seems people have done MR all chose to camp at Upper Boyscout Lake and get down the same route. Passing Elephant's Ear with a big pack looks pretty scary to me. Wondering how hard it is to go up MR and go down the standard route in one day. Is it more difficult than Capitol or Snowmass in one day?

Frank
Steve C
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Steve C »

> Based on the TRs I read on this site, it seems people have done MR all chose to camp at Upper Boyscout Lake and get down the same route.
If you camp on the North Fork, it just doesn't make sense to haul a loaded backpack up the MR and down the trail. (though it can be done... I've hauled an ultralight pack up and stayed in the hut overnight several times.)

> Passing Elephant's Ear with a big pack looks pretty scary to me.
Have you watched the videos of the final 400? More exposure there. The elephant ear can be avoided by crossing the North Fork stream twice before the Ebersbacher Ledges. Most people are more intimidated by the E. Ledges. But believe me, they are NOT a problem, unless you are afraid of heights in general. ...and then the Final 400 will give you the biggest thrill.

> Wondering how hard it is to go up MR and go down the standard route in one day.
More people do the Main Trail as a day hike than do it as an overnight. Doing the MR is shorter and more direct. Just do the math: start at 8,300', climb to 14,500'. 6200 ft of gain. That's about it. The Main Trail is twice the distance as the MR, but same gain.

> Is it more difficult than Capitol or Snowmass in one day?
I've never climbed any CO peaks, so don't know.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Ruh, roh. Are they a threat in the 14ers Dance Off???
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

^^^
Carl Spackler wrote:Man in the boat overboard...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
swadmin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Steve - thanks a lot for the info. MR is definitely more attractive. Now the task is to sell it to my buddy :)
Steve C wrote:> Based on the TRs I read on this site, it seems people have done MR all chose to camp at Upper Boyscout Lake and get down the same route.
If you camp on the North Fork, it just doesn't make sense to haul a loaded backpack up the MR and down the trail. (though it can be done... I've hauled an ultralight pack up and stayed in the hut overnight several times.)

> Passing Elephant's Ear with a big pack looks pretty scary to me.
Have you watched the videos of the final 400? More exposure there. The elephant ear can be avoided by crossing the North Fork stream twice before the Ebersbacher Ledges. Most people are more intimidated by the E. Ledges. But believe me, they are NOT a problem, unless you are afraid of heights in general. ...and then the Final 400 will give you the biggest thrill.

> Wondering how hard it is to go up MR and go down the standard route in one day.
More people do the Main Trail as a day hike than do it as an overnight. Doing the MR is shorter and more direct. Just do the math: start at 8,300', climb to 14,500'. 6200 ft of gain. That's about it. The Main Trail is twice the distance as the MR, but same gain.

> Is it more difficult than Capitol or Snowmass in one day?
I've never climbed any CO peaks, so don't know.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

TallGrass wrote:Ruh, roh. Are they a threat in the 14ers Dance Off???

Yes! =D> =D> =D>