What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
VagabondSurveyor
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by VagabondSurveyor »

TallGrass wrote:Free and online, many might find this interesting as it intertwines with CO 14ers, especially with many summits being benchmarked by the USGS. Also an interesting and different historical angle on the development of the U.S.:

The United States Geological Survey: 1879-1989
By Mary C. Rabbitt
A history of the relation of geology during the first 110 years of the U.S. Geological Survey to the development of public-land, Federal-science, and mapping policies and the development of mineral resources in the United States

As a Surveyor myself, I can +1 that it is an interesting read..
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

No Place But up..... signed by the man himself.

OK so I'm not reading it yet, but will be starting it in a day or 2.

http://www.foxeverest.com/book.html
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

A Night on the Ground, A Day in the Open by Doug Robinson

Picked it up as a signed copy at a whole in the wall bookstore in Fort Collins. $6
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Anyone considering the tall one should read this, from another climbing journalist.
Scan 2.jpeg
Scan 2.jpeg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
nicholasblee
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nicholasblee »

I just finished Mountains of Light: Seasons of Reflection in Yosemite

I found it randomly in my local library and it turned out to be pretty good. The author spends time hiking around Yosemite after his wife's death. Good mix of philosophical topics, trail descriptions, and history of the park itself.
gdthomas
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Article XVIII, Section 16 of the Colorado Constitution, "Personal use and regulation of marijuana", also known as Amendment 64 - Colorado Marijuana Legalization Initiative. The full text of the law was published yesterday. Not a mountaineering publication but undoubtedly of interest to many mountaineers.
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Ok. Posted that I was reading this earlier, but The Ledge was excellent. A 'must read'.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/31/168079373 ... jfk-affair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Johnson wrote:Ok. Posted that I was reading this earlier, but The Ledge was excellent. A 'must read'.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/31/168079373 ... jfk-affair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, and some good occasional Fort Collins & Colorado references.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Jim Davies wrote:"The Signal and the Noise" by Nate Silver. Fascinating discussion of forecasting and prediction in various areas (weather, economics, elections, epidemics, sports). Not to spoil the plot, but it reinforced my impressions of weather forecasts (short-term forecasts have improved markedly in recent years, but anything over 8 days is worse than taking the averages for the date!). Also, economists are really, really bad at predicting the future, but usually don't care because of political bias.
My wife gave this to me for xmas and now I'm more excited to read it. I'm sure his books have been selling through the roof since the election.
notallwhowander
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notallwhowander »

The latest great read was "A Blistered Kind of Love" by Angela and Duffy Ballard, about their thru-hike of the PCT. I've been on a waiting list for a few months at the library to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

notallwhowander wrote:The latest great read was "A Blistered Kind of Love" by Angela and Duffy Ballard, about their thru-hike of the PCT. I've been on a waiting list for a few months at the library to read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Does anyone know of a memoir of the Colorado Trail (which I'm planning on thru-hiking this summer)?
M. John Fayhee (editor of the Mountain Gazette) wrote a book about hiking the
Colorado Trail. He's a good (and funny) writer. The book is about 20 years old, and may not be in
print anymore. I'm not sure of the title.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

I finally got to Infinite Jest, which may be the most brilliant thing ever written. Here are a few samples to serve as potent motivators to read all 1050 pages (150 of which are footnotes, some of which have footnotes):

"What Mario perceived as a sudden radical drop in the prevailing temperature was in fact the USS Millicent Kent's sexual stimulation sucking tremendous quantities of ambient energy out of the air surrounding them."

"...the Militant Grammarians of Massachusetts, ever since a bramble in the flank of advertisers, corporations, and all fast-and-loose players with the integrity of public discourse."

It ranges from fun sentences like these to the philosophical. Read it only if you're patient and have a month to put up with it - reading it's the mental equivalent of climbing a highly technical mountain covered with ice in 60 mph winds.