Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best camping spot from Crags TH - Pikes

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Best camping spot from Crags TH - Pikes

Postby mtngoat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Headed up Pikes on Jan 26-27 and doing an overnight since I will be leaving the Denver area mid morning. Where are some good spots for camping along the way? 4-season tent. And more are welcome on the trip. I'm in less than peak condition so pace will be slower. Thanks.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Re: Best camping spot from Crags TH - Pikes

Postby d_baker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Crags Campground. Thought that would be obvious?!

EDIT: Unless you mean you're packing in a ways on day 1, and then summit and pack out on day 2? Kind of an easy day hike, but if you want an overnight, there's a few places that are kind of flat beyond the last stream crossing before going up. If there's enough snow, it would be easy enough to level a platform on snow for your tent.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:36 am

The Crags Campground, along with all the other campgrounds between the Springs and Divide, are closed for the winter. However, the parking lot at the new trailhead is big, flat, and probably empty this time of year. There was a few inches of snow up there a few weeks ago, and we got more last night, so be prepared for that. Bring your own water, or plan on melting snow.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 am

susanjoypaul wrote:The Crags Campground, along with all the other campgrounds between the Springs and Divide, are closed for the winter

Yes, so are a lot of other campgrounds/sites throughout the state but they're still there to "use" and some do get used during winter closures. I would plop a tent down there without worries.

Postby Dean82 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 am

You have a few places. Like one person said right in the parking lot works. Or get a head start and camp @ Devils Playground, the next morning you will have like a mile to hike to the top. Also about a mile or two into the hike when you start to work your way out of the thick trees there is plenty of camping. Like one person said it is an easy day hike. I would camp @ devils playground though.

Postby peter303 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Dean82 wrote:You have a few places. Like one person said right in the parking lot works. Or get a head start and camp @ Devils Playground, the next morning you will have like a mile to hike to the top. Also about a mile or two into the hike when you start to work your way out of the thick trees there is plenty of camping. Like one person said it is an easy day hike. I would camp @ devils playground though.

Its more like 5 miles r.t. from Devils Playground - 4 of it rather easy and the middle mile a rocky scramble.

The name Devils Playground comes from the terrific summer lighting storms in that area. Generally they wont start until May.

Postby huffy13 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 am

Mueller State Park is good too. At least hot showers are available for a nominal fee and the roads to the campsites would make access to your campsite easy...it only took about 15 minutes for our group to get from Mueller to Crag's TH.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.