Conditions on Sherman?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
outdoorpanda80
14ers: 9  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions on Sherman?

Post by outdoorpanda80 »

I was hoping to get on Sherman for a little ski touring soon...maybe next weekend. Has anyone been up there and have and info on snow coverage and snowpack?
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Sherman?

Post by SeracZack »

Send a PM to winmag4582001 I believe he was up there this weekend.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Did you look at the Conditions tab? As of 1/13/2013.....
Sherman
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

outdoorpanda80 wrote:I was hoping to get on Sherman for a little ski touring soon...maybe next weekend. Has anyone been up there and have and info on snow coverage and snowpack?
Also, when I was up there on 1/1/13, depending on what kind of touring you're looking for (e.g., summit descent?; or just down low in trees?), I thought the coverage was sparse. But I'm not a skier either. At the time, it didn't look like good skiing to me.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

d_baker wrote:Did you look at the Conditions tab? As of 1/13/2013.....
Sherman
As with most condition reports, that one is of little use to skiers. Your thoughts from when you were there on 1/1 seem pretty accurate. Looks like it is/was doable, sort of, but not particularly enjoyable.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
SherpaSara
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 282 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SherpaSara »

Not sure how much better it would be after this last storm, but I was up there on the 9th...the snow is pretty sparse, with the road being mostly clear of snow (just a few drifts after Leavick) until you hit a slab of ice that goes down the road for maybe 50 yards. That ice stops 4wd vehicles from getting to the gate by only a few hundred yards. I found myself hiking mostly on dirt the whole day, with a bit of hiking in the snow (but not really enough coverage for skiing) on the south slopes route. The standard route is pretty dry as well, with poor snow coverage except for the point where you drop down toward the mine ruins from the ridge low-point...made for a short and sweet glissade, but not good for skiing.
minnow_30
14ers: 25 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by minnow_30 »

I am looking at doing a ski decent on Sherman this weekend does anyone know how the conditions turned out with the latest storm that came through? Is the south face do able?
14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

Here was Mt. Sherman when I hiked it last Saturday (Jan 26th). As you can see, there is no snow lol.
Attachments
Sherman.jpg
Sherman.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 323 times
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir