Elks Logistics Help Please!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Elks Logistics Help Please!

Post by metalmountain »

I Man wrote: I have also spent many nights sleeping in my car (or poaching campsites) in the Bells park.

SHHHHHH!!!! :-$
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

metalmountain wrote:
I Man wrote: I have also spent many nights sleeping in my car (or poaching campsites) in the Bells park.

You're a bad influence on me [-( [-X
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I Man wrote:
metalmountain wrote:

You're a bad influence on me [-( [-X
Whatever we totally ninja'd that campsite, no one was the wiser. In and out without a sound. That type of operation is not for the weak minded or unskilled.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

mtgirl wrote:
bj wrote:Any help with showers and places to eat?
The Aspen Recreation Center, right on Maroon Creek Road leading up to the Bells and Pyramid, has showers if you buy a day pass. Passes are a bit pricey, but if you go during their last hour of daily operation, they are only about $5.

http://www.aspenrecreation.com/aspen-re ... on-center/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On second thought, I dare you to use Maroon Lake as a bathing location, especially in the fall at sunrise when the hundreds of tourists are lined up along the shore trying to get that perfect picture of the Bells. Nothing like a naked climber and a bar of soap to add some spice to their photo. :lol:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Aspen has plenty of places to eat. The trick is finding the ones that keep the price of a meal below triple digits. :wink: Hey its Aspen.

The discount supermarket is a branch of Krogers called City Market. Its right where the Independence Pass Road turns into downtown. There are supers on approach cities in Buena Vista, Leadville, Glenwood Springs and Carbondale.

The only two chain fast foods I aware of are a McDonalds near the main park and a Subway on Hwy 82.

There a burger joint called Boogies near the main ski lift. A asian place called Little Ollies near Boogies. And a not too expensive mexican place called Su Casa near the opera house.
bj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bj »

mtgirl No time for a bath at sunrise? I'll be moving up the hill. I'm more likely a sundown bather.. Dare you to join me?

Any good places to eat or shower in Snowmass Village?
Last edited by bj on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a drinker with a climbing problem..
ElFuegoDelaMuerte
14ers: 35  4  13 
13ers: 38 1 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ElFuegoDelaMuerte »

mtgirl wrote:
On second thought, I dare you to use Maroon Lake as a bathing location, especially in the fall at sunrise when the hundreds of tourists are lined up along the shore trying to get that perfect picture of the Bells. Nothing like a naked climber and a bar of soap to add some spice to their photo. :lol:
I've seen this done. It was an older couple... Probably in their 80s. Twas quite the scene. I couldn't believe they could stand the temperature of the water for such a sustained period of time. It only added to their already abundant supply of wrinkles. Couldn't bring myself to take a picture but it's been burned into my retinae.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

ElFuegoDelaMuerte wrote: Couldn't bring myself to take a picture but it's been burned into my retinae.
Thanks......now I've got a nasty mental picture that won't escape me soon enough ! :shock:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

We saw a group of runners dive in the lake after running the 4-pass loop. We didn't join them.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Jim Davies wrote:We saw a group of runners dive in the lake after running the 4-pass loop. We didn't join them.
I've waded into Crater Lake after a particular hot summer hike.