RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

On June 29, 2013 I will be:

Running Leadville Marathon
42%
Running Leadville Heavy Half
33%
There for support in the form of Dales/food/cheering/etc.
24%

Total votes: 33
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Post by ameristrat »

Bill I would definitely be willing to run an interval - 3 or 6 miles would be fine so I can do a relay of 4 or 8. Let me know if you need anything from me - I hope this works out!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

zdero1 wrote:
Geez Bill I wish I had known about this option before registering...The heavy half is a bit intimidating right now! If I can contribute my time or money to any memorial activity please let me know. I would be happy to help.
Don't discount a thing, yet, Mike... I don't know what our entry fees will be - probably something similar to the half... once we get this figured out if you want to switch over, we can ask that question of the Race Officials. This is still in it's infancy.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Just looking at the results from 2012, the median finishing time for the Marathon was 6:13. That's 14:14 per mile, or just over 4mph. How fast do most of you hike? Think about all the gear you usually carry that you wouldn't be carrying for this.

A relay team is a great idea, but I guess what I'm saying is that many many of the folks on this board are already fit enough to do an 8 or 12 mile hike with more elevation gain on rougher terrain with more gear at a not-too-much-slower pace than 2mph. So, losing that gear and just going for the heavy half (at the very least) shouldn't be too big of a stretch. I can't speak for Rob, but I would think that part of making the memorial more meaningful would be for us to reach out there and try something a little beyond our comfort zones.

I hope that doesn't sound preachy - in fact, I'm just trying to convey that for many of you on the fence but dragging your heels due to intimidation over the length - you can do this! Sign up and the rest will follow. :)
Last edited by doggler on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Not to be nitpicky but 14:14 is just faster than 4 miles an hour.
doggler
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

ameristrat wrote:Not to be nitpicky but 14:14 is just faster than 4 miles an hour.
Nitpicker. :oops:

Fixed. STILL not fast!
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

doggler wrote:Just looking at the results from 2012, the median finishing time for the Marathon was 6:13. That's 14:14 per mile, or just over 4mph. How fast do most of you hike? Think about all the gear you usually carry that you wouldn't be carrying for this.

A relay team is a great idea, but I guess what I'm saying is that many many of the folks on this board are already fit enough to do an 8 or 12 mile hike with more elevation gain on rougher terrain with more gear at a not-too-much-slower pace than 2mph. So, losing that gear and just going for the heavy half (at the very least) shouldn't be too big of a stretch. I can't speak for Rob, but I would think that part of making the memorial more meaningful would be for us to reach out there and try something a little beyond our comfort zones.

I hope that doesn't sound preachy - in fact, I'm just trying to convey that for many of you on the fence but dragging your heels due to intimidation over the length - you can do this! Sign up and the rest will follow. :)
I've thought about that, Sean... I think this relay idea is for people who a) aren't any sort of distance runners, or b) people who are who want to run it THIS YEAR for ROB and the team, not necessarily in competition form. If people want to run the half or full for Rob, and believe like you do, please do so... I don't want people to sacrifice their own wants - this was simply an effort to get those that typically wouldn't have even run the race at all to participate - and there are many of "us" out there. I've also contacted his sister and family in Connecticut and they are on board with the idea; his sister wants to relay and she feels many of his friends from back east who are coming might as well... Perhaps this could be more for them since they aren't acclimatized.

I'm trying to formulate ideas so the Race will work with us, that's all for now.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

Has anyone contacted the race director to see if they will allow a relay? I know its not offered for this race, but I wasn't sure if they might be inclined given the motivation behind it.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

SummitKathy wrote:Has anyone contacted the race director to see if they will allow a relay? I know its not offered for this race, but I wasn't sure if they might be inclined given the motivation behind it.
Yes, I did... see my comments here.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

wildlobo71 wrote:
SummitKathy wrote:Has anyone contacted the race director to see if they will allow a relay? I know its not offered for this race, but I wasn't sure if they might be inclined given the motivation behind it.
Yes, I did... see my comments here.
That's great! I'm sure even more people would be on board for this if they were able to run a shorter distance. And obviously, the bigger the turn out the better. Let us all know when/if you get a definite yes from the director.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

wildlobo71 wrote:
zdero1 wrote:
Geez Bill I wish I had known about this option before registering...The heavy half is a bit intimidating right now! If I can contribute my time or money to any memorial activity please let me know. I would be happy to help.
Don't discount a thing, yet, Mike... I don't know what our entry fees will be - probably something similar to the half... once we get this figured out if you want to switch over, we can ask that question of the Race Officials. This is still in it's infancy.
I hear ya, Bill. Although I'm nervous about the half, training is going well. At the moment this race is impossible for me to complete and for that reason I have to go for the half. Despite barely knowing Rob I continue to be inspired by his story and I've gotta go for it. Thanks for all you are doing with organizing this. It's a fantastic idea. Maybe I'll be so fast on race day that I can run both :P
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Project Ralphie »

wildlobo71 wrote:My goal is to have at least one team of 8 partial runners - people who typically don't run much and who would otherwise just go and support and sit on the keg - that would keep the mileage to about 3.3 miles on average. Some would go more and less depending on how we set up the intervals and get those approved in some way with the Race Director. If we could have more teams? Great! I could see a team of 4 that skip every other interval that the team of 8 would stop at - just a thought.

The more the support and interest on our end for a relay system, the more they will listen and assist. So please let me know if you'd like to do this!
Might be more appealing to the race director if relay teams are combined runners/Aid Station volunteers. Works particularly well for 4-person teams.

At the beginning of the race, Runner 1 stays at the Start. Runnners 2 and 3 are transported to, and work, Aid Station A. Runner 4 goes to, and works, Aid Station B. When you're not running, you're working; when you're not working, you're running.

Runner 1 runs to Aid Station A, where he/she takes over for Runner 2. Runner 2 circles Ball Mountain back to Aid Station A and takes over for Runner 3. Runner 3 runs to Aid Station B and takes over for Runner 4. Runner 4 runs to Mosquito Pass (and Aid Station C), turns around, then they do it all over again in reverse. Once the Aid Station shuts down, they hitch a ride back with all other Aid Station volunteers. And with 4-person teams, no one has to work Aid Station C at Mosquito Pass, which is not car accessible.
doggler
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Project Ralphie wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:My goal is to have at least one team of 8 partial runners - people who typically don't run much and who would otherwise just go and support and sit on the keg - that would keep the mileage to about 3.3 miles on average. Some would go more and less depending on how we set up the intervals and get those approved in some way with the Race Director. If we could have more teams? Great! I could see a team of 4 that skip every other interval that the team of 8 would stop at - just a thought.

The more the support and interest on our end for a relay system, the more they will listen and assist. So please let me know if you'd like to do this!
Might be more appealing to the race director if relay teams are combined runners/Aid Station volunteers. Works particularly well for 4-person teams.

At the beginning of the race, Runner 1 stays at the Start. Runnners 2 and 3 are transported to, and work, Aid Station A. Runner 4 goes to, and works, Aid Station B. When you're not running, you're working; when you're not working, you're running.

Runner 1 runs to Aid Station A, where he/she takes over for Runner 2. Runner 2 circles Ball Mountain back to Aid Station A and takes over for Runner 3. Runner 3 runs to Aid Station B and takes over for Runner 4. Runner 4 runs to Mosquito Pass (and Aid Station C), turns around, then they do it all over again in reverse. Once the Aid Station shuts down, they hitch a ride back with all other Aid Station volunteers. And with 4-person teams, no one has to work Aid Station C at Mosquito Pass, which is not car accessible.
Excellent suggestion. Makes it hard to say no.