Guides Required for Ecuador Volcanoes

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Guides Required for Ecuador Volcanoes

Post by TomPierce »

http://www.summitpost.org/forum/mandato ... 63863.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure whether this has already been posted here, but I came across this link this morning which states that to climb a volcano in Ecuador you must now hire a guide, regardless of experience. What a shame for independent, competent mountaineers. Just my opinion.
-Tom
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Guides Required for Ecuador Volcanoes

Post by jbchalk »

Whoa! Thanks, for posting, Tom. That is so unfortunate. Guess Ecuador won't be receiving my vacation dollars then.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

There's some dialogue over on summitpost to that effect:

http://www.summitpost.org/forum/gov-t-r ... 63791.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I'm not a fan of being guided, I like the independence of going without and I think learning from my own mistakes is invaluable. But there are good reasons for hiring a guide too, I just don't like the mandatory nature of this new law. I suspect once this gets out a lot of climbers will head instead to Bolivia or Peru. Just a hunch.
-Tom
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

I was just looking at flights last night for a trip in November....this changes things. I'm curious if this is just on Cotopaxi or if the rangers wanted some extra money....guess we'll see over the next few months what people are saying. Just surprised there isn't more of a discusion on this considering it's prime climbing season down there.

Thanks for the heads up.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

But there are good reasons for hiring a guide too, I just don't like the mandatory nature of this new law.
I don't like it being mandatory either, but on the other hand it is their country.
I suspect once this gets out a lot of climbers will head instead to Bolivia or Peru.
The rule is already (or was a few years ago) in place in much of Peru (though I don't think that it is strictly enforced). I'm not sure about Bolivia (haven't been for 5+ years or heard anything about mandatory guides). Most the people climbing the Ecuador volcanoes are guided anyway, so I don't know if it will have that much effect on the numbers. It certainly hasn't in places like Kilimanjaro, Ararat, Peru, etc.
I'm curious if this is just on Cotopaxi....guess we'll see over the next few months what people are saying.
I think it's for all the glaciated volcanoes. I'm guessing that like in Peru, you can waive the requirement if you are doing a difficult route that isn't guided.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I'm curious about climbing in Central and South America someday, and that's my only qualification to speak on this, but I wonder if they won't end up with a bunch of 'accredited guides' who end up just being climbing bums who for $50 or $100 plus food and stove fuel will climb along with you. I have no clue what their accreditation process for guides is, so I don't know.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

It's not clear to me if this applies to Ecuadorians as well, I haven't researched that issue (I don't plan to go down there again). The stated rationale apparently isn't jobs (although I suspect that's the real reason), but rather that there was an accident on Illiniza that claimed 4 lives, all Ecuadorians from what I understand.

-Tom
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The stated rationale apparently isn't jobs (although I suspect that's the real reason)
Yes; that's almost always the real reason.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Out of curiosity I dug a little deeper and, at least according to recent anecdotal reports (Lonely Planet), the requirement applies only to foreigners.
-Tom
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

TomPierce wrote:The stated rationale <snip> that there was an accident on Illiniza that claimed 4 lives, all Ecuadorians from what I understand.
-Tom
TomPierce wrote:<snip> the requirement applies only to foreigners.
-Tom
#-o
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

On one hand, when undertaking an international climbing trip, I don't know that an extra $500 or so to hire a guide just to satisfy the requirement would break most people's budgets. On the other hand, mountaineers (especially experienced ones) tend to be fiercely independent and really turned off by the idea of having a guide, even if it's just for show.
Also, for those who haven't been, the standard route on Cotopaxi (from the Jose Rivas Refugio at 15k) is analogous to the DC route on Mt. Rainer -- it's very well marked and easy to navigate, even in the off-season -- so requiring a guide seems a little ridiculous from a safety standpoint. I'm sure it's about the economy/jobs for Ecuadorians.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

This does seem like an employment plan. We climbed in Ecuador, with a guide, and it was pretty fun. We didn't need the guide, but why not have a cool character along? And the companies we talked to gave about the same price if we wanted a guide or just the transportation/base camp guard/cook.
Probably wouldn't be a problem if you asked the guide to stay at base camp. Or to hang back and let you take the lead. They've climbed the mountains hundreds of times. Our guide on Cotapaxi climbed the mountain the day before we went up with him.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes