South Arapaho/4th of July Trailhead Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

South Arapaho/4th of July Trailhead Conditions?

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Hi guys, I'm thinking about doing South Arapaho tomorrow with a friend. Anybody's been to the trailhead lately? I know the road leading to the 4th of July trailhead is not plowed. If the snow is hard packed will it be drivable? I have a 4wd CRV.

Also are there any other summits in the Indian Peaks or within an hour from Boulder that are doable in the winter without a LONG approach (like Audubon because of road closure)

Thanks guys!
-OwenZ
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Re: South Arapaho/4th of July Trailhead Conditions?

Post by DanR »

I don't know anything about the 4th of July trailhead right now (and I'm guessing you won't reach anybody if you try calling the Boulder forest service office), but for other IPW summits you could do far worse than Saint Vrain Mountain.
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

Road is not drivable in winter. IPW is tough to access in winter. I have been going up the coney flats road, which is drivable for a 3-4 miles but rough 4wd, to access sawtooth and red deer mtn. It is still a haul to get the summits, but closer and easier than most of the other IPW peaks. Audobon can be climbed from coney flats too in a very long day, but the connecting trail winds steeply through trees and snow was rotten and unsupportable two weeks ago( we didn't make the summit). From the summit of berthoud pass today it looked like mines pk, flora, eva, and parry are all doable with minimal snow above treeline and a well packed trail from the parking lot to treeline, you could bring snowshoes but probably don't need them. Anything else in IPW is a multi-day excursion at this point. Hope this helps! Alex
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks for the info guys. We are going to wait until my friend has her sleeping gear ready then we'll tackle the peaks near Brainard Lake.
-OwenZ
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

ak47 wrote:Road is not drivable in winter. IPW is tough to access in winter. I have been going up the coney flats road, which is drivable for a 3-4 miles but rough 4wd, to access sawtooth and red deer mtn. It is still a haul to get the summits, but closer and easier than most of the other IPW peaks. Audobon can be climbed from coney flats too in a very long day, but the connecting trail winds steeply through trees and snow was rotten and unsupportable two weeks ago( we didn't make the summit). From the summit of berthoud pass today it looked like mines pk, flora, eva, and parry are all doable with minimal snow above treeline and a well packed trail from the parking lot to treeline, you could bring snowshoes but probably don't need them. Anything else in IPW is a multi-day excursion at this point. Hope this helps! Alex
Did Flora from Mines Peak two weeks ago. The cat track to Mines Peak was firm enough that you could get by without snowshoes, but used them for traction purposes. The rest of the route did not require snowshoes.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
skimrg81
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skimrg81 »

Skied a 15 mile loop up the 4th of July road to diamond lake, to jasper lake and back to eldora yesterday. The road is passable in a good 4wd vehicle up to the hessie turn off. Several vehicles were up there yesterday. From hessie to the 4th of July summer TH is 4 miles, and the road is hard packed and bare in spots. Evidence of bootpack all the way up to the summer TH. You should go for it.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

skimrg81 wrote:Skied a 15 mile loop up the 4th of July road to diamond lake, to jasper lake and back to eldora yesterday. The road is passable in a good 4wd vehicle up to the hessie turn off. Several vehicles were up there yesterday. From hessie to the 4th of July summer TH is 4 miles, and the road is hard packed and bare in spots. Evidence of bootpack all the way up to the summer TH. You should go for it.
Thanks for the info skimrg81. You think a 4wd vehicle can make it all the way to the summer TH? An extra 4 miles each way is a bit long for a single day trip for me.
-OwenZ
skimrg81
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skimrg81 »

No I don't think a 4wd vehicle could make it all the way up, that would be a little ambitious. However, a good 4wd could probably make up up atleast another mile past hessie.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks. In that case I think I'm going to camp at the summer TH and do Skywalker couloir the next day or something.
-OwenZ
FullertonImages
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FullertonImages »

Not to sound condescending or assume you don't know your avy stuff, but with all the new snow lately, I would be very cautious about going anywhere near Skywalker (or any other couloir or avy slope). Skywalker is a long steep walled couloir, and if you were to find unhappy snow conditions half way up, you would have little option but to continue up or go all the way back down (and stay in the path of danger).
Adventure Photographer - Staff Photographer for Backpacker Magazine and Climbing Magazine.

Fullerton Images Facebook Google+ Twitter